Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't find one card with 770+ TU FICO

tag
seattlecredit08
Frequent Contributor

Can't find one card with 770+ TU FICO

First, I can't repeat this enough -- this forum has been amazingly helpful on my credit journey! Thanks everyone!!!

Now about current situation and what I am looking to accomplish - I was hoping to end the year (this means today!) with 1 more revolver/credit card (Don't ask me why now vs. wait 3 more months Smiley HappySmiley Wink )

At this point, I am only interested in issuers that use TransUnion (TU) in their decisions

• My FICO TU around 770 (depending on the model)
  • No negatives on TU, oldest account is > 10 years, AAofA is abot 6 years
  • 6 inquiries on TU total, all in the last 12 months
  • A total of about 7 new accounts opened in the last 12 months Smiley SurprisedSmiley Surprised, most of these older than 6 months ($4,000-$10,000+ limits), with perfect payment history However, these are pretty much all of my open revolving accounts, which is, of course, precisely the issue for a lot of the issuers (especially, some of the more conservative CUs don't want to see new open accounts)
  • Close to 0% utilization
  • Sufficient income for $10,000+ limits

Already have these TU pullers or app in progress:

• I already either have or applied (in progress) for several known TU pullers: US Bank, Barclays card, WF Propel (application in progress, they did pull TU)

Recent denials with TU score of around 770:

• Lowes / Synchrony. Denial reason is still in the mail. Was really, really surprised by this one. Will see I guess...
  • Alliant CU (was hoping to get their Signature Visa): Denied due to too many recently opened accounts. Their disclosure had me at 782 FICO. Had a long phone call with them, and they basically said that I will have no problem getting approved if i wait until mid 2019. We discussed everything in detail, like DTI, inquries, mortgage, etc.

Other issuers I have researched, based on the information on this forum:

• Other Synchrony products -- until I get my letter with the reasons for Lowes denial, I see no reason to try again
  • Langley CU - however, I got spooked after reading about them denying for too many recently opened accounts
    • Perhaps I should just go for it?
  • RBFCU - seems great but currently don't have a way to get in
  • (And, of course, NFCU - same, at the moment, don't have a way in)
  • ???

Question--- any other TU-based issuers that one could recommend based on the above?

Thanks in advance!!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Can't find one card with 770+ TU FICO

TU score is irrelevant because a lot of issuers will do a SP on different CR, and see whatever is it that you dont want them to see.  

With that many denials, probably all for the same reason, I think the message is pretty clear. 

I understand that you're looking for a card simply to pad your utilization (based on numerous threads), but I don't see it happening for you right now with seven new accounts. Some profiles can handle it, yours is not one of them. 

I suggest you put the brakes on and re evaluate your plans 

Good luck! 

Message 2 of 10
Gollum
Established Contributor

@seattlecredit08 wrote: any other TU-based issuers that one could recommend

BECU Credit Union uses TransUnion to provide a FICO 8 score to cardholders, but I don't know whether or not BECU pulls TransUnion for credit decisions.

Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 846 Experian April 2024, 844 TransUnion April 2024 | (FICO 9) 849 Equifax April 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU VISA Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back VISA $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank VISA $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver VISA Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards VISA Platinum) $500
Message 3 of 10
seattlecredit08
Frequent Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

TU score is irrelevant because a lot of issuers will do a SP on different CR, and see whatever is it that you dont want them to see.  

With that many denials, probably all for the same reason, I think the message is pretty clear. 

I understand that you're looking for a card simply to pad your utilization (based on numerous threads), but I don't see it happening for you right now with seven new accounts. Some profiles can handle it, yours is not one of them. 

I suggest you put the brakes on and re evaluate your plans 

Good luck! 

Thanks!!

Actually, there is nothing I don't want for them too see. My existing cards already do SPs on other reports with no issues. It's just that I am carefully saving my Equifax and Experian reports for some other cards (I have several cards from majors that I have already carefully identified that I will be applying for either in Q1 or Q2 of 2019 that pull Equifax/Experian).  Also, I am carefully monitoring SPs as well using full Experian and Equifax subscriptions (monitoring TU soft pulls is a bit trickier).

So no other suggestions for TU-pullers besides BECU based on recent experience?

I am willing to be guinue pig and report my experience back.Smiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

Thank you!!

Message 4 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

In my experience Langley most likely pulls Equifax.
Message 5 of 10
NRB525
Super Contributor

OP what is your current list of cards, CL and month/year each was opened. It sounds like you have a lot of new cards.
It also sounds like you have a number of pending apps and recent denials.

What are your objectives, what rewards do you look for in your next card?

It has been a Thing here for applicants to try to put forward their best bureau for an app, and I get that can be a consideration. It appears you are in a short term app spree though, and apps really should be focued in this environment.

Good luck with your results however I suspect you will see a high proportion of denials with all the recent activity.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Blithely assuming that you're West Coast like I am based on your username: you're mostly stuck to CU's looking for TU pullers and many of those aren't the national open to anyone types (vis a vis I tried hard to get into RBFCU and SSFCU back in the day, sadly my dad who is eligible for both was too busy with his new found love of his life haha).

Don't know what your rationale for another card is, but just going down the list for any card which pulls TU seems borne of a suboptimal reason when it comes to building credit.

        
Message 7 of 10
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Based on OPs threads from this and last week, he wants several $10k or higher SL cards (from known only TU pullers) to pad his utilization while he carries balance. 

Message 8 of 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Remedios wrote:

Based on OPs threads from this and last week, he wants several $10k or higher SL cards (from known only TU pullers) to pad his utilization while he carries balance. 

With a 770 FICO 8 I'd suggest that's pretty irrelevant Smiley Happy.

        
Message 9 of 10
seattlecredit08
Frequent Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

I can definitely see how my other posts / questions would lead one to think that this is my goal.

However, at this point, I am certaianly not looking to carry balances and I plan on continuing to PIF every month for a forseable future (to clarify, some of my other questions in other posts were really based more on the curiosity as I am very intrigued by the amazing accomplishments of building massive TCLs by some of the legeds on this board....)

So that was not it... I was just trying to close out the year with 1 more strong card approval without putting anything on my Experian or Equifax, which I am preserving for some big moves in 2019.

In any case, time is almost up so I may just have to call it a day or, should I say, call it a year and just re-group next year.

Happy New Year, Everyone!!

May it be a Year of BIG new credit lines for those who seek them and a Year of NO new lines for those who... well, for those who are perhaps wiser... Smiley HappySmiley Wink

Thanks!!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.