cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get Cap1 to give me a CLI...wondering if they will ever grant a CLI?

tag
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Can't get Cap1 to give me a CLI...wondering if they will ever grant a CLI?

Despite having FICO 8 scores with all 3 bureaus of over 750, with TU getting close to 800 territory as well as only 19-20% overall util, I cannot seem to convince Cap1 to give me a CLI on my $1k NHM Ultra Platinum MC (works like a Venture).  I've been trying for months using the website through repeated SPs, and even now when my credit score is vastly improved and I have successfully paid off over 50% of my previous revolving debt, Cap1 won't budge.  I did try calling their phone number to make sure they were pulling my most recent credit data that reflects the significantly-increased credit scores and drastically-reduced util, and they assured me that they were, but that they can't grant a CLI due to (their words) "my overall financial picture", even though it's actually pretty good atm, in mho.

I'm wondering if the reason they are unwilling to give any CLIs is b/c maybe they see my Cap1 card terms are overly generous in their view, for me -- for example, even though the card has a $1k CL that hasn't budged since I first received it in 2012, I do have the Venture 2% cashback rewards benefit redeemable for travel purchases, without the annual fee, since they permanently waived it in 2015.  What I also really don't get is, they were willing to re-open the card in 2015, permanently remove the AF, and yet they still won't grant a CLI, even with my dramatically-improved credit profile?  4 years with them, perfect payment record with no lates, no baddies, and still no CLI at all?  Smiley Sad  All of my other card issuers minus US Bank which I just recently acquired, have granted CLIs, many more than once, over the past 2 years.  I guess I'm doubting now if they will ever give me a CLI, even if I get over into the 800+ range with my scores eventually...

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Can't get Cap1 to give me a CLI...wondering if they will ever grant a CLI?

In my humble opinion, if you are unsatisfied with the card and its hit a dead end id just close it. With your scores id imagine you can pick up another card elsewhere who'd give you a great sl and one you can actually use. You will have the history of the card on your report for next 10 years anyway. GOOD LUCK Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@galahad15 wrote:

Despite having FICO 8 scores with all 3 bureaus of over 750, with TU getting close to 800 territory as well as only 19-20% overall util, I cannot seem to convince Cap1 to give me a CLI on my $1k NHM Ultra Platinum MC (works like a Venture).  I've been trying for months using the website through repeated SPs, and even now when my credit score is vastly improved and I have successfully paid off over 50% of my previous revolving debt, Cap1 won't budge.  I did try calling their phone number to make sure they were pulling my most recent credit data that reflects the significantly-increased credit scores and drastically-reduced util, and they assured me that they were, but that they can't grant a CLI due to (their words) "my overall financial picture", even though it's actually pretty good atm, in mho.

I'm wondering if the reason they are unwilling to give any CLIs is b/c maybe they see my Cap1 card terms are overly generous in their view, for me -- for example, even though the card has a $1k CL that hasn't budged since I first received it in 2012, I do have the Venture 2% cashback rewards benefit redeemable for travel purchases, without the annual fee, since they permanently waived it in 2015.  What I also really don't get is, they were willing to re-open the card in 2015, permanently remove the AF, and yet they still won't grant a CLI, even with my dramatically-improved credit profile?  4 years with them, perfect payment record with no lates, no baddies, and still no CLI at all?  Smiley Sad  All of my other card issuers minus US Bank which I just recently acquired, have granted CLIs, many more than once, over the past 2 years.  I guess I'm doubting now if they will ever give me a CLI, even if I get over into the 800+ range with my scores eventually...

It might have to do with the fact that you have a lot of cards.

And I would say your utilization is fairly high for someone with so much available credit.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 3 of 13
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
In my humble opinion, if you are unsatisfied with the card and its hit a dead end id just close it. With your scores id imagine you can pick up another card elsewhere who'd give you a great sl and one you can actually use. You will have the history of the card on your report for next 10 years anyway. GOOD LUCK Smiley Happy

Thanks for the helpful advice!  Smiley Happy  I guess one reason I am still fond of the card -- sorry forgot to mention, in my original post -- is because the APR is also 10.15% V, originally 9.9% V when I first got it and before prime rate was raised.  Since in the current credit card industry environment, obtaining a new card product with that kind of APR would be unrealistic for me, I had always hoped I could get a CLI on this card.  Another card benefit with my existing card is fee-free BTs.  And so even without a CLI, I am still mostly happy with the card...that's why I thought maybe Cap1 thinks they may have perhaps given me "too much of a good thing" or overly-generous terms, meaning that a CLI is unlikely regardless of how high my score rises or my credit profile improves.

Message 4 of 13
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@galahad15 wrote:

And I would say your utilization is fairly high for someone with so much available credit.

Thank you for the valuable feedback SouthJamaica!

Message 5 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@galahad15 wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@galahad15 wrote:

Thank you for the valuable feedback SouthJamaica!

My pleasure. If I were you, after what you've mentioned about the card, I would hold on to it. I think they'll come around some day Smiley Happy

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 6 of 13
creditguy
Valued Contributor

I have no idea what a NHM ultra platinum MC is, is that a card that was taken over by Cap One or was it issued initially from Cap One? The only reason I ask, is because Cap One seems to neglect or have outright disdain for the cards they acquired from other lenders and they never seem to grow. 

Message 7 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Good point Creditguy, almost like they got stuck with someone elses kid for the long haulSmiley Happy

@galahad15, good suggestion by SJ, But have you tried getting a low apr card maybe from a credit union, like Penfed Promise or the like. Im not sure what cards you have but i would imagine with high scores like your youd be able to qualify for the lowest rates.Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 13
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@creditguy wrote:

I have no idea what a NHM ultra platinum MC is, is that a card that was taken over by Cap One or was it issued initially from Cap One? The only reason I ask, is because Cap One seems to neglect or have outright disdain for the cards they acquired from other lenders and they never seem to grow. 

The Cap1 No Hassle Miles (NHM) Ultra card either preceded and/or was temporarily issued jointly alongside the Venture.  Features were virtually identical to Venture.  There were actually 2 versions of the NHM card, the Ultra (2% cashback on travel purchases, same as Venture), and a NHM card with 1.25% rewards like Venture One, if I am recalling correctly.  A few years ago, pretty much all NHM cards were PC'd by Cap1 into Venture or Quicksilver cards.  The only reason I still have one I think is because I originally closed the account during the time they were phasing out the NHM, and when I re-opened the account some months later, NHM had already been phased out, so I am guessing they are maybe counting my card as a grandfathered product of sorts?  In any event, it is nearly identical to the Venture, or a Venture really by another name...

ETA:  THe NHM card was issued from the beginning until the end by Cap1 AFAIK, and not taken over from another card portfolio...

Message 9 of 13
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Good point Creditguy, almost like they got stuck with someone elses kid for the long haulSmiley Happy

@galahad15, good suggestion by SJ, But have you tried getting a low apr card maybe from a credit union, like Penfed Promise or the like. Im not sure what cards you have but i would imagine with high scores like your youd be able to qualify for the lowest rates.Smiley Happy

Thanks for your suggestions AverageJoesCredit!  The only CU account I have atm is with Western/Unify, and I am very happy with the low rate they have given (recently lowered to 9.99% F).  I have thought about other credit unions, even researched some, but the lowest rates always seemed to be from the ones I couldn't get into geographically, Unify was an exception b/c it wasn't geo-limited.  Maybe I'll have to take another look at the CU angle again...

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.