Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get Citi or Amex with 788 FICO

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can't get Citi or Amex with 788 FICO

For the life of me, I can't seem to get approved for any credit cards. I just ran the fico score and it showed me 788. Amex and Citi both declined me. Chase did too, but I finally could talk to someone who went ahead and approved it after seeing my report.

The reasons I get are really silly like too low credit limits or something. Amex tells me I have too many new and then closed accounts. We did flip a few amex cards last year to get the miles. We ran them up to the max, then closed them out. 

So it's got to be some past behavior triggering a problem since I have zero debt, zero bad, etc... And amex bumped my one remaining card down to 2k credit limit. 

Anyone have ideas of how to actually speak with someone at Citi about a denied app? Citi and amex both use experian so they are the problem children, but there is nothing bad to fix. Just opened and closed accounts.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
FocusOnFICO
Regular Contributor

Re: Can't get Citi or Amex with 788 FICO

Atom,

Welcome to the forums.  There is a backdoor number listing available on the threadlist page or you can access via this link:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=creditcard&thread.id=136936

Starting Score: TU 766 EQ 788
Current Score: TU 788 EQ 811
Goal Score: TU 800 EQ 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 4
Cstl05
Contributor

if you dont mind me asking which amex number is the recon number?
Chase Sapphire Reserve/Chase Sapphire Preferred/Ritz Carlton/Chase Freedom/Amex Blue Cash/Discover IT/Capital One Quicksilver/Bank of America Cash Rewards/Citi Costco/Citi Double Cash/Barclay Apple Rewards
Message 3 of 4
Cotton_Britches
Frequent Contributor

I applied for a second Citi card last week. They pulled EQ, not Experian.

“Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase.”
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.