Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get a CLI to save my life......

tag
tempusfugit123
Frequent Contributor

Can't get a CLI to save my life......

Not sure if I'm putting this in the correct area feel free to move if neccessary!

I have had a couple accounts for 3 years or more with no luck in getting an increase. I recently applied for a couple new accounts and have watched them grow while the other accounts have remained stagnant. I am starting to become frustrated and I don't want to close the accounts but what can I do if they aren't going to grow? I am just asking around for a bit of advice. The accounts I'm focused on improving are:

Bank of America- I opened this account in 2008 and it still has a $500 limit and $59 annual fee I product changed a year ago to the Bankamericard Cash Rewards but I only use it once a month.

Discover- I opened this account in 2011 and it still has a $1500 limit. I don't get offers to bt or anything. No luv at all

Nationwide- Still at $1000 and I can't even initiate an increase

Capital One- $3000 secured card that I opened in 2010 I'm itching to get my money back from. I thought they would eventually unsecure.

I've been lurking the forums for a while and just trying to figure out what my options my be. Who I should contact etc....

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Can't get a CLI to save my life......

When did you last submit a CLI on your bank of america card online? (if you have not done it in a while I would go online and submit one now for $10k, the system will probalby give you either a 7-10 day message and you should log in tomorrow and check your new limit or a number to call and you should call as they will do the CLI instantly over the phone, if they can't do the $10k, they will counter back.

I call Discover right now and ask for a CLI, they will probably want to do a HP, say okay and then just let them try for most possible, don't give an amount... if you don't get at least $2k I would ask to speak to an underwriter and they should be able to transfer you over.

Message 2 of 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

@tempusfugit123 wrote:

Not sure if I'm putting this in the correct area feel free to move if neccessary!

I have had a couple accounts for 3 years or more with no luck in getting an increase. I recently applied for a couple new accounts and have watched them grow while the other accounts have remained stagnant. I am starting to become frustrated and I don't want to close the accounts but what can I do if they aren't going to grow? I am just asking around for a bit of advice. The accounts I'm focused on improving are:

Bank of America- I opened this account in 2008 and it still has a $500 limit and $59 annual fee I product changed a year ago to the Bankamericard Cash Rewards but I only use it once a month.

Discover- I opened this account in 2011 and it still has a $1500 limit. I don't get offers to bt or anything. No luv at all

Nationwide- Still at $1000 and I can't even initiate an increase

Capital One- $3000 secured card that I opened in 2010 I'm itching to get my money back from. I thought they would eventually unsecure.

I've been lurking the forums for a while and just trying to figure out what my options my be. Who I should contact etc....

If it won't hurt UTL get your money because it won't unsecure

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 8
tempusfugit123
Frequent Contributor

I requested an increase with Discover 4 months ago and then again 2 weeks ago. Both HP's. Online when I try to request an increase again it says its still pending. Bank of America I requested an increase last month recieved the 7-10 day message. 14 days passed I didnt get an increase but didn't recieve a denial. Called in to see why I wasn't increased. They said that they had an issue with a paid collection that was falling off my report in 2 months. I don''t want to risk another hard pull. I guess I should have said that in my initial post. 

Message 4 of 8
tempusfugit123
Frequent Contributor

But as for the Cap1 secured I'll be closing it. Just recieved a 3k increase on my Potterybarn card. I'm sure that will help with my utility. 

Message 5 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@tempusfugit123 wrote:

I requested an increase with Discover 4 months ago and then again 2 weeks ago. Both HP's. Online when I try to request an increase again it says its still pending. Bank of America I requested an increase last month recieved the 7-10 day message. 14 days passed I didnt get an increase but didn't recieve a denial. Called in to see why I wasn't increased. They said that they had an issue with a paid collection that was falling off my report in 2 months. I don''t want to risk another hard pull. I guess I should have said that in my initial post. 

so then if you are just 2 months away, sounds like you have your answer.

Message 6 of 8
tempusfugit123
Frequent Contributor

How long should I wait to request again? I feel like they are just giving me the run around because they approved me with the collection fresh on my report. 6 years later still no increase. Its one of my oldest accounts I got starting my rebuild. Even with an increase the $59 AF is ridiculous. 

Message 7 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@tempusfugit123 wrote:

How long should I wait to request again? I feel like they are just giving me the run around because they approved me with the collection fresh on my report. 6 years later still no increase. Its one of my oldest accounts I got starting my rebuild. Even with an increase the $59 AF is ridiculous. 

you need to call in to the backdoor number with BofA and speak directly with the person that can not only look at your credit report but speak to you about it and then has the power to give you any amount of credit they want.

I would then ask to speak with underwriting at discover also, unfortunately you cant call directly into them like Bofa, you will have to go through csr but should be able to be transferred.

You mention the new CLI on pottery barn will help util, What are your balances on said cards?

do you have any other Comenity backed store cards because CLI on them are EASY and might be great option right now.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.