Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get rid/upgrade my of my AMEX Zync

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can't get rid/upgrade my of my AMEX Zync

I've had an AMEX Zync card for about 5 years now with a 500 limit. I've been trying for months to get AMEX to convert this into a better card, as they no longer make the Zync and my limit is so low. My FICO is 684 and I've applied for the every day and got denied. Apparently the Zync is not-upgradable and everytime I speak with someone on the phone it just go around and around and around and they look at my account and go "you've been with us for 5 years and made every payment on time I'm not sure why we can't get you a new one" and then nothing.

Anyone have any ideas?

14 REPLIES 14
Sharingan
Established Contributor

Re: Can't get rid/upgrade my of my AMEX Zync

The AmEx Zync certainly can be upgraded... if it's one with NPSL. Almost every time I call AmEx regarding my other accounts they always ask if I want to upgrade my Zync to the PRG or Platinum cards, which I swiftly decline. Additionally, they previously spammed my mailbox with 25k MR points to upgrade to the PRG. I've had my Zync for about 7 years now. Unfortunately, the $500 capped Zyncs have given cardholders issues for quite some time now with applying for other AmEx products and PC'ing. My Zync is NPSL with a very high exposure limit, and I suspect that is why they are so adamant in getting me to change to the higher tier charge cards.

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

That makes sense. Do you have any suggestions on whom to speak with or the angle I should try and play? I don't "need" another CC, but I enjoy being an AMEX customer and It would be much easier to have a card that I can only use on little purchases.

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

The most important question here is what's been keeping your scores out of the 720+ range?  Utilization? Derogatories?  Missing an installment loan?  Not enough credit card accounts?

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good Question. Utiliation is about 10% but that is only within the past 3 months. I missed 4 Credit Card payments 3 years ago, (60 days) and 3 Student Loan payments (90 days) 3 years ago. I was unemployed for about 10 months and just couldnt keep up at the end. 

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hopefully those lates age themselves off soon.  What's your AAoA on currently reported accounts?  Does the Amex pre-qualification page ever show any offers?

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

7 years and 5 months. As far as the Amex Pre Q - It actually never works for me. It never says "no offers" it just always redirects to my account page. 

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm guessing that some of your CC lates were Amex and they're holding a grudge.  With those scores you should qualify for other prime lenders, maybe give some charge love to other creditors for now and hope Amex opens their eyes to your creditworthiness.

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your insight. I was actually late one 1 Amex payment, but they forgave it and my credit report reflects the forgiveness. I was actually just approved yesterday for the Sapphire - so I cannot complain too much!

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow!  I would run naked through the streets for the Sapphire because of the fantastic bonus rewards on top of the Freedom ones!  Congrats!

I'd take Sapphire over anything else right now -- that's my new unicorn card for 2018!

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.