cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we use capital venture credit card rewards to buy points on the IHG official website?

tag
DotaK
Regular Contributor

Can we use capital venture credit card rewards to buy points on the IHG official website?

Can we use capital venture credit card rewards to buy points on the IHG official website? I have over 10,0000 points on my Capitaone centure credit cards, and thinking to buy some IHG points to redeem those Capital one reward points. Can I do that? Or Caipital one won't allow me to redeem the points if I purcahse the IHG points? Does anyone know or have done this before?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

Re: Can we use capital venture credit card rewards to buy points on the IHG official website?

If you mean you would want to use Purchase Eraser to get rid of the cost of your IHG points, IHG uses points.com to make the purchase. Points.com doesn't code as a travel purchase and Purchase Eraser only works on travel, so you might have to do a statement credit, which would cut the value of the points you use in half (in other words don't do this, you're setting money on fire).

That being said... you can erase OTHER travel purchases (presumably you have some, right? You didn't pay money for a travel card when you don't travel?) in an amount equal to what you buy in IHG points on points.com and get around it that way.

| Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 18k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi Custom Cash 11.9k | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Freedom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Red 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 2 of 6
DotaK
Regular Contributor

Re: Can we use capital venture credit card rewards to buy points on the IHG official website?

That's exactly what I meant, So sad, I don't want to travel espically during the pandamic. I was just thinking to buy some IHG points with my capitalone points. I have a lot of credit card points,over ten thousand points. As you said here, I have to wait and use my capitalone points for future travel uses. Thanks for replying!

Message 3 of 6
jcooks
Established Contributor

I would recommend holding onto the 10k points and continue to rack them up.  Your best redemption for the points would be to transfer to one of the CapitalOne partners.  I don't think there would be many hotels you can really book with only 10k points though.

Message 4 of 6
Hoben02
Frequent Contributor

A feature of the cap one purchase eraser is that you can use it multiple times on the same item. When I had a single travel charge and a bunch of non travel expenses I would erase the travel expense to apply to the non travel expenses

Chase (CSP,CF,CFU,southwest premier)
Barclay(jetblue, arrival)
Bofa(US pride, premium, travel, cash, Suzy komen)
Citi(Premier, Double cash, Costco)
Fnbo(Mlife)
Amex(everyday, cash, Hilton)
Blockfi
Caesars rewards
Sofi
Gemini
Cap One Savor One
Message 5 of 6
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

@DotaK wrote:

That's exactly what I meant, So sad, I don't want to travel espically during the pandamic. I was just thinking to buy some IHG points with my capitalone points. I have a lot of credit card points,over ten thousand points. As you said here, I have to wait and use my capitalone points for future travel uses. Thanks for replying!

IHG points expire unless you retain IHG status (traveling and staying in their hotels or holding a cobrand credit card). Capital One points won't. I'm not sure I understand why you would want to buy something with an expiration date if you're not traveling and can't immediately use it in the first place.

(IHG also regularly sells their points on discount, so you're not missing anything if you just wait until you're ready to travel again).

| Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 18k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi Custom Cash 11.9k | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Freedom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Red 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.