Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you PreQualify for a Charge Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you PreQualify for a Charge Card

I googled this but didn't find anything on it.

I'm under 21 so I can't use a pre-qualified site to find out but when you try to see offers with AMEX for example do offers for those cards come up as well?

While I'm at it, what are the factors that would determine approval on a charge card vs a standard revolving card? Is income a bigger factor or is it basically the same?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can you PreQualify for a Charge Card

I'm under 21 with <10k income (student) and was pre-qualified for the Green card and 2 revolvers
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can definitely pre-qualify for a credit card. Capital One, Discover, American Express, Chase and Citi all have specific sites where you can check your pre-qualification status without a hard pull (google the issuer name and "credit card pre-qualification" or "pre-qualify"). The accuracy of the results will vary, but generally, if you get a single-figure APR offer or an offer with a narrow range (3 points or so), this is a good sign, though not a guarantee, that your application (which will require a HP) will be approved. You may also get pre-qualification or even pre-approval notices in your email or paper mail; these will usually have special codes which you enter during the application process.

Also, if you're already an account holder, issuers will sometimes offer you pre-qualified or pre-approved offers on your account page, or possibly product upgrades from your current card to a better card (Capital One has a site where you can check for the availability of product change on your current card).

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I googled this but didn't find anything on it.

I'm under 21 so I can't use a pre-qualified site to find out but when you try to see offers with AMEX for example do offers for those cards come up as well?

While I'm at it, what are the factors that would determine approval on a charge card vs a standard revolving card? Is income a bigger factor or is it basically the same?

Once you're a member of American Express (as you are with the Delta Gold) you can click on any card to see if you're prequalified for it.

1. Log in to your account and click on Menu > Cards > View all cards

2.  Select the card you're interested in, the click on the "Apply" button

3.  You will then see one of two messages (1) StockiestTrout, you are pre-approved!  or (2) Expanding your membership with us is easy.  If you see the first message you're good unless something has changed in your credit report.

Just note that Amex has a dynamic website and if you don't meet the requirements for a card it might not show up when you're logged in.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

P.S. Bank of America also has a prequalification check page, but it's pretty much useless for most people since what they show is mostly marketing offers (10% APR ranges from highest to lowest and giveaway language such as "We recommend...") In such cases, you're going to have to do what we call a "cold app" if you want that particular card; it doesn't mean you'll be denied by any means - I've done several cold apps in the past year and a half and have hit paydirt every time - but you'll need to do your research and preparation to be sure your credit is in the best shape possible before you apply.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

The CARD Act of 2009 prohibits banks/lenders from sending pre-approvals to anyone under 21.  Also, if an applicant is under 21 they cannot apply for credit by phone, any application must be made my mail or online.

Message 6 of 8
Dave4fun
Regular Contributor

WOW! Interesting..I did know that

FICO 8 EQ: 841, TU: 842, EX: 842 Total Rev CL: $547,000 - CHASE/CITIBANK/DISCOVER/ USBANK/AMEX/COMENITY AMEX /BMO/NORDSTROM/MACYS/FNBO/ JCPENNY/TARGET/CHEVRON/1ST UNITED CU/PATELCO CU/SYNCHRONY/ VENMO VISA Sig/ DILLARDS AMEX/ PENFED PLAT REWARDS/PENFED PLOC/WELLS FARGO. AAoA 13 years
Message 7 of 8
Cmikul
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You can definitely pre-qualify for a credit card. Capital One, Discover, American Express, Chase and Citi all have specific sites where you can check your pre-qualification status without a hard pull (google the issuer name and "credit card pre-qualification" or "pre-qualify"). The accuracy of the results will vary, but generally, if you get a single-figure APR offer or an offer with a narrow range (3 points or so), this is a good sign, though not a guarantee, that your application (which will require a HP) will be approved. You may also get pre-qualification or even pre-approval notices in your email or paper mail; these will usually have special codes which you enter during the application process.

Also, if you're already an account holder, issuers will sometimes offer you pre-qualified or pre-approved offers on your account page, or possibly product upgrades from your current card to a better card (Capital One has a site where you can check for the availability of product change on your current card).

Pretty sure this is a good answer to a different question.  Seemed like the original post was asking about a charge card...not a credit card.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.