cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you balance transfer on a closed account?

tag
mzgg09
Regular Contributor

Can you balance transfer on a closed account?

Maybe you guys can help me out. I was approved for a bank of america card back in september with a $2000 limit. I took advantage of the balance transfer offer. And transfered the balance of two cards to the boa for a total of $1200. To make a long story short, shortly there after boa closed my account. That's before it even generated a first statement. Was weird. I  called about it etc. I get a letter in the mail stating high debt to income ratio, too much available credit, etc. I'm like "you didn't see all this when you approved the card?" I wasn't too upset about it, these companies have their reasons. But my thing is now I have an account sitting on my credit report that is not of not help to  me in any way. Eventhough the account is closed, can I transfer the balance of this closed boa account? Or you guys have any other advice about what I should do? I was thinking of going on and just paying them off. But I do have a slight chip on my shoulder from the whole ordeal and have decided to just pay them the minimal payments for now since i'm still in the introductory 0% apr. But any advice is helpful. Thanks in advance.

Experian 750 Equifax 750 Transunion 753
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

Re: Can you balance transfer on a closed account?

@mzgg09 wrote:

Maybe you guys can help me out. I was approved for a bank of america card back in september with a $2000 limit. I took advantage of the balance transfer offer. And transfered the balance of two cards to the boa for a total of $1200. To make a long story short, shortly there after boa closed my account. That's before it even generated a first statement. Was weird. I  called about it etc. I get a letter in the mail stating high debt to income ratio, too much available credit, etc. I'm like "you didn't see all this when you approved the card?" I wasn't too upset about it, these companies have their reasons. But my thing is now I have an account sitting on my credit report that is not of not help to  me in any way. Eventhough the account is closed, can I transfer the balance of this closed boa account? Or you guys have any other advice about what I should do? I was thinking of going on and just paying them off. But I do have a slight chip on my shoulder from the whole ordeal and have decided to just pay them the minimal payments for now since i'm still in the introductory 0% apr. But any advice is helpful. Thanks in advance.

So ....make sure I understand this correctly you did a BT to the BOA Card and they closed it AFTER they did the BT????  You should definitely pay them off since they did do the BT.  How you choose is up to you; just be careful if it isn't paid of by the end of the introductory 0% Apr period they can retroactivate interest charges from the time of the BT.  Usually, making minimum payments during the 0% period will not pay off the loan in time.

Message 2 of 5
mzgg09
Regular Contributor

That is correct ecxpa. I will definitely pay them off before the 0% introductory rate is up.
Experian 750 Equifax 750 Transunion 753
Message 3 of 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@ecxpa wrote:

@mzgg09 wrote:

So ....make sure I understand this correctly you did a BT to the BOA Card and they closed it AFTER they did the BT????  You should definitely pay them off since they did do the BT.  How you choose is up to you; just be careful if it isn't paid of by the end of the introductory 0% Apr period they can retroactivate interest charges from the time of the BT.  Usually, making minimum payments during the 0% period will not pay off the loan in time.

wooo woo wooo... wrong type of 0%

a standard credit card does not have retroactive interest billing like a store card.

However a closed credit card with a balance does report over 100% utilization so I would look into a new card to do a Balance Transfer to and just pay this off and look the other way to BofA.

Check pre-qualified offers at chase.com for a slate card which would be $0 fee to do the transfer and 0% for 15 months or citicards.com... if you get a congrats we found these offers for you from either of these sites you should be good as approved to apply.

Message 4 of 5
TYHGTYHG

Creditaddict wrote: 
a standard credit card does not have retroactive interest billing like a store card.

However a closed credit card with a balance does report over 100% utilization so I would look into a new card to do a Balance Transfer to and just pay this off and look the other way to BofA.

Check pre-qualified offers at chase.com for a slate card which would be $0 fee to do the transfer and 0% for 15 months or citicards.com... if you get a congrats we found these offers for you from either of these sites you should be good as approved to apply.

Curious, is this a fact with all CRA's?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.