cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you do anything about a credit card not reporting to Experian?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you do anything about a credit card not reporting to Experian?

Hello everyone!

So I am a fairly recent legal immigrant to the U.S. and I opened a secured Bank of America credit card last May to start to build my credit score.  Today I checked all of my reports and scores and while Transunion and Equifax both show the card and all the information, as well as actually giving me a score, Experian does not show the credit card and therefore they are telling me I have no score.  This is preventing me from getting credit anywhere else as everyplace that I have tried so far seems to pull only Experian (I live in California). 

What can I do here to get my credit card to report to Experian?  Do I go through Bank of America or do I go through Experian?  Or is there nothing I can do and just hope I eventually apply for something that checks only TU or EQ but will report to EXP? 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
aftermath
Established Contributor

Re: Can you do anything about a credit card not reporting to Experian?

Speak with someone at B of A.  They might not be reporting it correctly.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday $6600
Barclays US Airways Premier World Mastercard $14500
Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Chase United Explorer $8500
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature $7500
Citi ThankYou Premier World Mastercard $7500
Message 2 of 10
Noctilum
Frequent Contributor

Creditors are not required to report to any of the bureaus, but if you call them up and ask nicely you might be surprised Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 10
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Several questions....

Do you have a credit report from Trans Union or Equifax? If so is the credit card reporting on those credit reports? 

If no

When you first immigrated to the US the INS gave a number that could begin with a 9 usually. Between that time and now have received a social security card?

I am not being nosy with these questions your answers will figure why it is not showing on your credit report.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash+ 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 C State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Quorum FCU State Department FCU State Department FCU Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 4 of 10
jausanka
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone!

So I am a fairly recent legal immigrant to the U.S. and I opened a secured Bank of America credit card last May to start to build my credit score.  Today I checked all of my reports and scores and while Transunion and Equifax both show the card and all the information, as well as actually giving me a score, Experian does not show the credit card and therefore they are telling me I have no score.  This is preventing me from getting credit anywhere else as everyplace that I have tried so far seems to pull only Experian (I live in California). 

What can I do here to get my credit card to report to Experian?  Do I go through Bank of America or do I go through Experian?  Or is there nothing I can do and just hope I eventually apply for something that checks only TU or EQ but will report to EXP? 

I have a number of BoA accounts and have faced this issue many times over the last ~15 years or so...  Quick little trick, if you are like me and hate talking to CSRs (though I was one for BankONE/JPMorgan Chase in a past life)... Log on to the BoA website to see your account, navigate to the update contact information option, and just retype your zip code or address or name or anything (can "change" it to the exact same thing, just have to appear to have altered it), then submit.  It triggers BoA to update the account info to all three bureaus overnight for an address/name change, and IME has led to non-reporting accounts suddenly showing up, inclusive of full history.

YMMV, but good luck!

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

To answer Andy, yes I do have a credit report from TU and EQ and it reports on those.  And I have a social security card.  I got it almost immediately as I immigrated based on marriage to a citizen.

I am going to try calling them up right now I got a special phone # from another CSR so let's see how that goes!

If not I will try the updating the address suggestion.  Very creative, wish I had thought of that, thanks! Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 10
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Corvidae wrote:

Creditors are not required to report to any of the bureaus, but if you call them up and ask nicely you might be surprised Smiley Happy

They are required if they advertise it.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 10
vish1
Valued Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@Corvidae wrote:

They are required if they advertise it.

I agree with you though, this is not the key discussion here, we all know for fact that BofA (infact all prime lenders) reports to all 3 bureaus. The problem with the OP is that due to some oversight or some kind of error, his card is not reported to experian.

I will go with 2 advices that other posters have given in a strategic way.

First, call BofA backdoor and talk to a analyst and explain them that the card is not appearing on experian and softly emphasize how important it is for a person building/rebuilding and request them to help you fix this. (There is a good chance that they can fix it)

If that doesn't work, the second trick of changing something with the account details might help.

Third option IMO is to try changing credit limit (probably add another 100$ if you can)

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 8 of 10
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

I was thinking it may the social security number on file ofr that account is different than the social security number the credit report(s) were pulled wtth. I like to know the results of your call if possible.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash+ 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 C State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Quorum FCU State Department FCU State Department FCU Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 9 of 10
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

@jausanka wrote:

I have a number of BoA accounts and have faced this issue many times over the last ~15 years or so...  Quick little trick, if you are like me and hate talking to CSRs (though I was one for BankONE/JPMorgan Chase in a past life)... Log on to the BoA website to see your account, navigate to the update contact information option, and just retype your zip code or address or name or anything (can "change" it to the exact same thing, just have to appear to have altered it), then submit.  It triggers BoA to update the account info to all three bureaus overnight for an address/name change, and IME has led to non-reporting accounts suddenly showing up, inclusive of full history.

YMMV, but good luck!

Excellent advice, jausanka!  A nice workaround, and without the hassles of dealing with CSRs or the bureaus!  Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.