cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you "earn" a grace period with Credit One?

tag
mpls_njl

Can you "earn" a grace period with Credit One?

I was pre-approved for a Credit One card, and when it arrived I found out that it did NOT come with a grace period. This makes me want to cancel the card and send it back, especially because the customer service agent tried convining me that that's NOT what the card holder agreement says. It says "there is no way to avoid paying interest... interest begins to accure the day a transaction posts". 

I know it's a horrible bank, blah blah blah, it's also a helpful stepping stone to rebuild. Does anyone know - can you "upgrade" to a card with a grace period with them? Because if the bank does this, I'd probably keep it and deal. But if not, I super don't have a compelling reason to keep it. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Can you "earn" a grace period with Credit One?

Unfortunately, CreditOne does not offer an upgrade to a better product with a grace period.    IIRC, they also assess a monthly fee, so you would still see "activity" even if you decide not to use it for purchases.

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 2 of 8
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I don't believe I've heard of that, though they DO sometimes offer cards with a grace period from the beginning, me being one example. I keep getting targeted offers with a 24 day grace period (and if I'm not mistaken, lower fees maybe [$39]?).

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 8
RootDet
Established Contributor

No upgrades for them. Understand that Credit One targets a very specific market group of consumers, and these consumers for better or worse are a high risk on paper. Credit One is a good stepping stone to get yourself away into a more prime status where they offer stuff like grace periods are mainstream banks and then quickly close Credit One. With the annual fee billed monthly, low limits, high APR, etc, I wouldn't;t keep them around any longer than I had to 

Message 4 of 8
JNA1
Valued Contributor

DW’s Credit One card has a grace period, but it did from the beginning. She called to close it before the first year was up to avoid paying the AF, and they offered to waive it, so she left it open for now. We got this card for her Becca use she had no credit at all, and we didn’t didn’t know what kind of lender they were at the time. Call and tell them you want to close it and maybe they’ll do it. Just be prepared to close it if they don’t, if that’s what you want to do.
Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 5 of 8
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

@RootDet wrote:

No upgrades for them. Understand that Credit One targets a very specific market group of consumers, and these consumers for better or worse are a high risk on paper. Credit One is a good stepping stone to get yourself away into a more prime status where they offer stuff like grace periods are mainstream banks and then quickly close Credit One. With the annual fee billed monthly, low limits, high APR, etc, I wouldn't;t keep them around any longer than I had to 

It was worth it to me to get an OpenSky Secured as my starter card (because I was in bad enough shape they and Credit One/the really predatory CCs were my only options). $39 annual fee, and the card will NEVER graduate, but no credit check and a full grace period. Once I was getting unsecured it was straightforward to close the account and move on.

First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 18k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi AA Platinum Select 11.9k | Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Freedom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 6 of 8
bustout
New Contributor

I reluctantly called to cancel the card because of the $39 annual fee. Interest rate is 15.99 but my limit was $1850 and I didn't want to really cancel the card but I decided no annual fees for me. The converted me to a Platinum Rewards card with no annual fee. I was getting the annual fee spread out monthly which was very annoying and frustrating. The initial CSR told me she couldn't change it but she elevated it to someone to cancel (not sure they even have a retention department) and she said she can convert it and I agreed to keep it without an annual fee. I got no break on the interest rate and my limit remained the same. As soon as it was done, she notified me I was prequalified for their AMEX....at $39 fee. Took her a few seconds before she chuckled that she doesn't know if that is something I would be interested in securing.

For now I keep the card. 

When I had the annual I carried $0 balance but the monthly $3.25 was so annoying and i could never have a clear month. I asked to pay for the year and they would not do it. I could not even overpay the amount from the website but I was able to do a bill pay from my bank and kept the poitive balance from which they deducted every month. 

Message 7 of 8
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@bustout wrote:

I reluctantly called to cancel the card because of the $39 annual fee. Interest rate is 15.99 but my limit was $1850 and I didn't want to really cancel the card but I decided no annual fees for me. The converted me to a Platinum Rewards card with no annual fee. I was getting the annual fee spread out monthly which was very annoying and frustrating. The initial CSR told me she couldn't change it but she elevated it to someone to cancel (not sure they even have a retention department) and she said she can convert it and I agreed to keep it without an annual fee. I got no break on the interest rate and my limit remained the same. As soon as it was done, she notified me I was prequalified for their AMEX....at $39 fee. Took her a few seconds before she chuckled that she doesn't know if that is something I would be interested in securing.

For now I keep the card. 

When I had the annual I carried $0 balance but the monthly $3.25 was so annoying and i could never have a clear month. I asked to pay for the year and they would not do it. I could not even overpay the amount from the website but I was able to do a bill pay from my bank and kept the poitive balance from which they deducted every month. 

What you discovered is what is quickly becoming policy with Credit One:

They NEED your business...and faced with the prospect of losing it, they will often give you a better offer and/or card should you call to cancel.

And if they don't, you drop them like a hot potato...simple as that.

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.