cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you recon a Chase limit immediately after approval?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you recon a Chase limit immediately after approval?

Say you apply online for a Chase card (not sure if it matters which one) and you get an approval for X.  Can you immediately call a number and attempt to recon X starting limit you were given?  Has anyone had success with this?  Is the answer a flat out "no" or can the limit be increased with a second HP?  Just curious.  Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Can you recon a Chase limit immediately after approval?

If you want a second HP one can certainly try and maybe get a higher CL.. I believe I had read posts in the past of people reconning their SL's, obviously your profile and income has to support it, etc.  You hear alot more about people moving limits around with chase right after approvsl vs. calling up and asking them to consider a higher SL

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Applied for a freedom around a month ago and had to call in to verify my information. Was approved initially for $3,500 but asked for more and was given $4,500 instead without additional HP Smiley Happy not much but it was one of my first cards so it definately helped
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Applied for a freedom around a month ago and had to call in to verify my information. Was approved initially for $3,500 but asked for more and was given $4,500 instead without additional HP Smiley Happy not much but it was one of my first cards so it definately helped

Interesting.  I suppose this would be an example of where an instant approval was not the best thing.  How did the conversation play out when you asked for more?

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't really recall how much I asked for initially.. but she asked me why I need a bigger SL and I explained that I had just purchased a house and will be making several large purchases.
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

For those that have taken another HP for a Chase SL recon/increase, was it worth it?  Was the amount you received with the HP in your opinion?

I assume they HP another bureau (other than the one they used upon approval)?

Message 6 of 11
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

No, it is not worth the credit hit with any credit line. Even $5k should be enough for most people. You can always transfer credit from one card to the other. 

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BronzeTrader wrote:

No, it is not worth the credit hit with any credit line. Even $5k should be enough for most people. You can always transfer credit from one card to the other. 

Why do you say it's not worth the credit hit?  Wouldn't the "hit" be essentially the same either way? 

Is your suggestion then to open up two Chase accounts (one possibly not being worth anything other than the limit) and then just transferring the limit from the card you don't care about to the one you do?  In this case I would assume the card you open that you don't care about you'd want to be one of the higher SL ones (like the Sapphire Preferred verses a Slate for example).

In both examples, the person will be taking two HPs (either 2 for one account or 1 on 2 accounts) except in the second example the person is also opening two accounts which could mean a greater AAoA drop and two "new accounts" once reported would likely result in a greater "credit hit." 

Just trying to understand your perspective on this topic.  Thanks.

Message 8 of 11
turtledude558

Long-time lurker, first time poster. Thought I'd weigh in with my experiences on this. For reference, I did this about a month ago within the same week with no major changes to my credit file between requests.

I requested SP CLIs from Amex, Discover, and Citi for the first time in over a year and received some pretty nice bumps. Chase required a HP (they pulled Experian only) when I requested an increase, which resulted in the lowest increase amount out of my four cards at the time (just approved for a Chase FU today). I had no luck receiving a higher increase when calling in for a recon. More details below:

Amex: 100% increase from $4600 to $9200 (SP)

Discover: ~37% increase from $8000 to $11000 (SP)

Citi: ~32% increase from $4k to $5300 (SP)

Chase Amazon: 20% increase from $4k to $4800 (HP)

I'm not sure if Chase treated the card differently since it was the co-branded Amazon Prime card, but this was my first CLI request since I opened the card in 2013 (I did receive one auto-CLI a while back) and I had no late payments on the account (or any other card). % util for the card was reporting over 30% when I requested the increase (~40%), which may have factored into the lower increase though I'm not sure. Additionally, total % util across all cards was at 32%.

Going from this experience, I probably wouldn't do another HP CLI from Chase and would push for a SP or wait for an auto-CLI.

Discover It $11000 | Amex BCE $9200 | Chase FU $6000 | Citi Forward $5300 | Chase Amazon $4800
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do appreciate the reply above, but I feel strongly that utilization played a huge role in your HP CLI being so small with Chase.  If the card you are requesting a CLI on is sitting at 40% utilization and your overall utilization is sitting at 32%, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if a CLI was denied.  I can say with complete conviction that if you had a zero balance on the Chase card and that if your aggregate utilization was sitting at a single-digit percentage that your CLI from Chase would have been considerably higher.  No way to ever know for sure, of course, but that's my honest opinion.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.