Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you refuse to provide POI?

tag
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Can you refuse to provide POI?

If a CCC requires proof of income or other documents, can you just cancel the application in order to avoid sending anything? Or will that get you in trouble? Sorry if this is a silly question LOL 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can you refuse to provide POI?

Of course, you don’t have to send anything. But you also won’t get anything. 

I’ve only had 1 issuer ask, NFCU. I personally had no qualms about sending it because 1) my stated income was accurate and 2) I wanted the product I applied for. 

Message 2 of 22
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Not a silly question at all, and it depends on the lender and their purpose for requesting.  If you are asked to provide a 4506-T from American Express during a credit line increase request, you can ignore it but won't get a credit line increase to that amount (you can always immediately ask for a lower amount).  However, if you're undergoing a financial review from Amex, it is not optional and your accounts will be closed if you do not comply.  I've done the 4506-T dance with Amex before, but the only other lenders to ever ask me for POI were NFCU (for my Flagship card "due to unusually high reported income," which was flattering but it's not that much) and PenFed (strangely, for an auto refi where the value of the vehicle was more than twice the remaining loan amount yet I had an unsecured card with them for more).

Message 3 of 22
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@pinkandgrey wrote:

If a CCC requires proof of income or other documents, can you just cancel the application in order to avoid sending anything? Or will that get you in trouble? Sorry if this is a silly question LOL 

They will cancel it for you if you dont submit required info

Why are you unwilling to provide POI? 

Message 4 of 22
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

They just won't proceed with the application if the required documentation (income, ID, address, etc.) is not submitted so you don't really have to tell them to cancel the app. It should be noted that if you ever decide to try and re-apply with that same financial instiution they will more than likely request the same info again to process your application.

Message 5 of 22
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@pinkandgrey wrote:

Yes,  for applications you can just refuse to comply.  You can cancel or simply not send in the info.    You won't get into legal trouble,  but expect not to get an application approved later without providing this info.  If you already have cards with that issuer, they MIGHT internally mark you in some way and possibly take AA, but I haven't heard of that.

Outside of an app, if an issuer requests proof of income, not complying certainly risks AA, as they are asking because they have concerns

Message 6 of 22
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Holy late reply for me there, Batman!

Message 7 of 22
Priory_Man
Valued Contributor

It wont get you in trouble, it's your prerogative to submit it. The only time I can think where you would have to, is if your current card company is wanting to do an account review, I believe it would be in your best interest at that point to send it or risk account closure.

"Total revolving credit $286,000 Current UTIL >1%"
Message 8 of 22
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I think the OP is trying to join a CU

That pesky gas card...

Message 9 of 22
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

I think the OP is trying to join a CU

That pesky gas card...

If that's the case they're more likely to ask than "normal" banks like Chase, Citi, AMEX, etc. in asking to provide documentation whether it's to prove income, address and what not. Not saying it's a regularity but definitely a better chance of occuring.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.