cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancel Citi Secured and open a new card?

tag
renamariee
Contributor

Re: Cancel Citi Secured and open a new card?

Right now I have my secured citi ($300) and I am an authorized user on my mom's CareCredit card ($10K). Those are my only two cards. I have like 6 collections from 2019 and before. ($2000, $1406, $435, $261, $1102) I was hoping to pay them off once I got my tax refund but Uncle Sam says I have to wait another 6-10 weeks.

Starting Score: 587
Current Score: 637
Goal Score: 650

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 15
sjt
Senior Contributor

@renamariee wrote:

Right now I have my secured citi ($300) and I am an authorized user on my mom's CareCredit card ($10K). Those are my only two cards. I have like 6 collections from 2019 and before. ($2000, $1406, $435, $261, $1102) I was hoping to pay them off once I got my tax refund but Uncle Sam says I have to wait another 6-10 weeks.

The outstanding collections are probably the reason Citibank did not graduate you. I would hold on to your Citibank Card and go for the Capital One card. I would also work on those collections. Who are the collection agencies and what were those collections for? You might be able to do a PFD.
American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 12 of 15
renamariee
Contributor

I have 6 collections and based on the thread here, 2 will PFD, 2 I might be able to recall from the OC and the other two (Pro Collect, and Receivable Management Group) are unknown. OCs are an old amazon card, a broken lease, a medical bill, and 3 internet providers.

Starting Score: 587
Current Score: 637
Goal Score: 650

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 15
jnbowmar
New Contributor

They wont graduate mine, so im keeping it open and in the sock drawer out of spite.

Message 14 of 15
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Do realize that some banks dont consider piggybacked cards in their decisions...

Id consider the Cap One card as an option, but might be more fruitful if you held off just a tad for some cleanup to let your score go up a bit... 

-J

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.