Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancel Days After Approval?

tag
ToxikPH
Established Contributor

Cancel Days After Approval?

I recently got approved for the capital one venture card and holy crap I understand all the hate for them already. The annual fee is supposed to be waived for the first year but it posted on my account. After 20 minutes on the phone of them trying to convince me it wasn’t to be waived I got it removed. Is it crazy to cancel a credit card within a week of getting approved?
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cancel Days After Approval?

I made the mistake of doing that with AMEX. Card reported anyway and I found myself on the naughty list for a year and ineligible for the BCE SUB despite never even using the card. I wouldn’t personally do it, especially since you got the issue fixed and that Venture SUB is a nice one.
Message 2 of 28
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

There's no sense in cancelling because you already took a HP for it. Just SD it if you don't plan on using it.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 3 of 28
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@ToxikPH wrote:
I recently got approved for the capital one venture card and holy crap I understand all the hate for them already. The annual fee is supposed to be waived for the first year but it posted on my account. After 20 minutes on the phone of them trying to convince me it wasn’t to be waived I got it removed. Is it crazy to cancel a credit card within a week of getting approved?

It's great that they waived it as advertised, but what's your plan for next year? 

Are you continuing on PC or them waiving fee indefinitely? 

I am asking this because you mention cancelling even after they waived it (as they should for the first year), but it will be there next year. 

Message 4 of 28
ToxikPH
Established Contributor

I honestly plan on canceling all of my memberships with capital one. That includes my checking and savings. Honestly I don’t care about them black listing me or missing out on the bonus. I just want to make sure canceling it doesn’t make problems with other lenders.
Message 5 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ToxikPH wrote:
I honestly plan on canceling all of my memberships with capital one. That includes my checking and savings. Honestly I don’t care about them black listing me or missing out on the bonus. I just want to make sure canceling it doesn’t make problems with other lenders.

It will look like you churned and burned them. I wouldn't do it. 

Message 6 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ToxikPH wrote:

Personal preference but, if they're giving you issues and angst then I would cancel them completely.  I don't have time for games w/ lenders and have to spend time monitoring their actions down the road.  It shouldn't have any effect on other lenders going forward at all.  The only thing to keep in mind since you mentioned Checking w/ them is if you have payments being pulled from that account to make sure you go through all of your accounts and update them with the new info.

https://www.depositaccounts.com/checking/reward-checking-accounts.html

Message 7 of 28
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@ToxikPH wrote:

I dont know about savings or checking account issues, but you're cancelling Venture because you just got approved for HH, right? 

You're certainly free to do so, but you should stop and ask yourself what happens if you displease Amex in some way. 

Good luck

Message 8 of 28
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@ToxikPH wrote:

It will look like you churned and burned them. I wouldn't do it. 

If you do close it soon, at least stick around long enough to actually get the cash bonus.

As I see it...

Ideal: Earning a lot of bonuses while downgrading, PCing, and getting retention offers to keep accounts open and conceal one's treachery. (Of course, complexity and "crowding out" new lines are considerations.)

Okay: Getting a lot of bonuses but closing accounts.

Undesirable: Opening and closing accounts without getting bonuses.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 9 of 28
kdm31091
Super Contributor

There’s nothing to gain from closing it immediately, as the account will report regardless. That said if it’s stressing you out it isn’t really going to hurt anything credit wise to close it. You lose any utilization benefit but you really never had that benefit because the card was just opened.

It isn’t likely to cause an issue with other lenders but you don’t want to develop a pattern of opening and closing. Because that will a show bad pattern after awhile.
Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.