Cancel Days After Approval?

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Cancel Days After Approval?

@CreditInspired wrote:

@Jnbmom wrote:

@CreditInspired wrote:

There's no sense in cancelling because you already took a HP for it. Just SD it if you don't plan on using it.

Actually you probably took 3 hits.

I thought about that Jnbmom and I bet you're right.

One CRA has not had its act together, causing some consumers take reasonable precautions.

In certain cases with qualified applicants, Capital One can be...understanding of this.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 21 of 28
Physh1
Frequent Contributor

You took 3 hard inquiries for approval...

You had to make 1 phone call to make sure you got a fee removed...

Now you want to cancel?

Honestly, your threshold for hating a credit card company is really really low.

You've got a fee free card for a year that usually has a great sign up bonus...get your benifits, keep it a year, & decide before the AF is due.

You're taking a few hits by just closing it...keep it, utilize it, let it keep building your credit.

Message 22 of 28
hawkins
Frequent Contributor

Don’t feel so bad. I had a few drinks last night and applied for the Amex Charles Schwab Platinum card and was approved. I promised myself I would never App for a Platinum card due to the AF. So I cancelled it today with them. Pretty sure I am on the crap list right now but whatever. I messed up pure and simple but I also have a responsibility to do what I need to do. I have 6 other cards with them anyways so whatever. My point is you have got to do what you have got to do. If the Venture or any other card is not right for you then by all means cancel. Just don’t do it all the time. In Cap 1s case they did not lose much of anything. Amex well I am not very profitable anyways as I never carry balances so let the blacklist be if that is what will happen. What is done is done.
Message 23 of 28
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@hawkins, at least your drapping is done with good taste🍷😏
Message 24 of 28
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@hawkins wrote:
Don’t feel so bad. I had a few drinks last night and applied for the Amex Charles Schwab Platinum card and was approved. I promised myself I would never App for a Platinum card due to the AF. So I cancelled it today with them. Pretty sure I am on the crap list right now but whatever. I messed up pure and simple but I also have a responsibility to do what I need to do. I have 6 other cards with them anyways so whatever. My point is you have got to do what you have got to do. If the Venture or any other card is not right for you then by all means cancel. Just don’t do it all the time. In Cap 1s case they did not lose much of anything. Amex well I am not very profitable anyways as I never carry balances so let the blacklist be if that is what will happen. What is done is done.

I'm curious...what six cards?

Are they mostly for cash back? Or cobrand cards give you all the Delta/Hilton/Marriott perks you would get value from?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 25 of 28
hawkins
Frequent Contributor

All of the except for one the BCE are business cards. I have the Bonvoy business, delta gold business, simply cash plus business, businesses gold, and the BBP. Before you say you get this and that from the plat I already know. What is done is done. Since it was a co-branded card AMEX cannot reopen it even if I asked.
Message 26 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ToxikPH wrote:
I honestly plan on canceling all of my memberships with capital one. That includes my checking and savings. Honestly I don’t care about them black listing me or missing out on the bonus. I just want to make sure canceling it doesn’t make problems with other lenders.

You are going to cancel all your accounts and miss out on a $500 Bonus because of a mistake they fixed?  I don't get this.  You are only hurting yourself.  

Message 27 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's like watching someone get mad that they shut their fingers in the door of their home so they take it out by kicking a hole in the drywall. I mean, it's your house, but whatever. Everything heals with enough time and money.

Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.