Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancel QS1 to get a venture?

tag
JYKim1
New Contributor

Cancel QS1 to get a venture?

Currently I have a QS & QS1 that came from Credit Steps. The QS was originally a Platinum that I did a PC on. IIRC, Capital 1 only allows you two cards. I'd like to get the Venture at some point, but am debating if I should continue to wait and PC the QS1, or just close it and app for the Venture. Also not sure if that particular PC is an ever an option they allow. 

Background: No baddies, perfect payment history, and I have 2 other cards I do my primary spending on. Scores are around mid-600s with AAoA at 11 mo. I've had the QS since 1/19 ($600) and the QS1 since 5/19 ($500). 

Thoughts?

Starting Score: EQ: 565 EX: 572 TU: 571
Current Score: EQ: 587 EX: 643 TU: 610
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Cancel QS1 to get a venture?

You can have 5 prime cards and 2 sub-prime cards. You don't have to close the qs1 if you don't want to. They're currently not combing cards, but it may return in the future. That's why mine is still open.

Message 2 of 16
blindambition
Senior Contributor

@JYKim1 wrote:

Currently I have a QS & QS1 that came from Credit Steps. The QS was originally a Platinum that I did a PC on. IIRC, Capital 1 only allows you two cards. I'd like to get the Venture at some point, but am debating if I should continue to wait and PC the QS1, or just close it and app for the Venture. Also not sure if that particular PC is an ever an option they allow. 

Background: No baddies, perfect payment history, and I have 2 other cards I do my primary spending on. Scores are around mid-600s with AAoA at 11 mo. I've had the QS since 1/19 ($600) and the QS1 since 5/19 ($500). 

Thoughts?

The QS One is considered subprime. You're safe to app Venture now.

If QS One is one of your oldest cards I'd suggest PC. I had one that was an old HSBC consolidation. I had to first PC to VO, then QS 6 months later. Either will drop your AF. Try upgrade link.

Message 3 of 16
blindambition
Senior Contributor

https://www.capitalone.com/sign-in Here's the upgrade link.  

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

As mentioned above, you can have more than 2 Capital One cards. However, with your thin file, FICO scores, and low limits on your existing cards, your odds are not very good. The Venture card has a $5,000 minimum Starting limit.

Message 5 of 16
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

You can have up to 5 prime cards.

I have 3 and had 4 or 5 at one time.

No need to lose anything.

Check prequal.

GL!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why venture though? Its an overated card and I fail to see any advantage of it over citi DC, which has no AF.

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

If Venture is something you can make use of, check to see if you're prequalified on Cap1 site. Like others have stated, you don't have to cancel your QS1, especially if it's one of you oldest cards. Good luck! 

Message 8 of 16
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Why venture though? Its an overated card and I fail to see any advantage of it over citi DC, which has no AF.

It depends on what you value. Venture offers a $100 credit for TSA pre-check at a $95 AF. Most cards that offer that have an AF of at least double. Think the flagship is the only one cheaper. Plus, the first year is free which puts you ahead before any spend.

Message 9 of 16
JYKim1
New Contributor

Thanks for the responses all. Sounds like I wouldn't be forced to get rid of it, although I'm not a huge fan of the AF and would prefer to keep it at 2 Cap 1 cards. Not ready to app yet, but I will keep this in mind thanks. 

Starting Score: EQ: 565 EX: 572 TU: 571
Current Score: EQ: 587 EX: 643 TU: 610
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.