cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canceling cards before or after renewal date?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Canceling cards before or after renewal date?

I have successfully applied for six new cards in the last two months. I will not keep all the AF cards? Should I call a few days before they are going to renew or wait till I get the charge? When is the best time to ask for credit line to be moved from a card you are canceling to a card within that family?

I won't  be spending lot  on these cards after meeting the spending requirements to receive bonus. My goal would be to reduce fees without damaging my opportunity to get several new cards next year that provide bonuses.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Canceling cards before or after renewal date?

If there is an annual fee. You should cancel the card one month before the renewal date.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Canceling cards before or after renewal date?

@Anonymous wrote:

I have successfully applied for six new cards in the last two months. I will not keep all the AF cards? Should I call a few days before they are going to renew or wait till I get the charge? When is the best time to ask for credit line to be moved from a card you are canceling to a card within that family?

I won't  be spending lot  on these cards after meeting the spending requirements to receive bonus. My goal would be to reduce fees without damaging my opportunity to get several new cards next year that provide bonuses.

See if you can PC the card to a no AF fee card (preferrably one with a good percentage miles or cashback program). Often you can PC the card to avoid the AF. If you need to you can move the credit lines after the PC.

As for canceling AF fee cards, often its best to do it a month or more before renewal. Ask for the transfer of the credit line first and then ask if you can transfer all of it and cancel the AF fee card. Personally, I prefer PCing to a no AF fee card then SDing it (if useless) till they cancel the card. Keeps the card around longer and helps your AAoA longer (10 years from date of cancelation is further out if card remains active longer). You can usually transfer most of the credit line after the PC if the new card is useless. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.