Cancelled my BOA card

tag
juggar
Contributor

Re: Cancelled my BOA card

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@juggar wrote:

You dun goofed OP, like really bad...

BoA is highly generous, in fact, they have always approved my humble CLI request. 

@I maxed the card at $3,500 when buying a car (for that 1% cashback, paid off the card next day with HELOC @ 3% APR)

two days from then I asked for a $1500 increase, they approved it immediately, I now know I should have asked for MUCH more now. Oh well, its a siggy now. 

Hope you learned form your impaitent mistake. 

Not exactly a friendly, supportive, or respectful post.

We can disagree with the actions of someone else and forcefully voice that disagreement but we need to do so in the proper manner.

I'll ask once again who among us has not regretted a decision we've made?

I was just explaining to him that it was not a wise choice to cancel one of his best credit cards because " they wont give me an increase" and " im scared of fraud...(really???)".

His reasons are vague and dont make much logical sense. 

If I came off a rude or disrespectful then I am sorry but people need to hear the truth and not be told what they want to hear. 

If OP thinks he made the right decision then good on him. 

Amex Green, Chase Freedom(7.5K), Nationwide Visa Signature(6K), Chase Sapphire Preferred(6k), Cap One VentureOne visa signature (5K) BoA Cash Rewards siggy (5K), BoA travel rewards visa siggy(5K) PayPal Extras Mastercard(5K), Capital One QuickSilver(2.25K) Newegg Preferred Account(2K), Citi Forward(3.4K), Dell Account(2K) Discover IT(2.4K), Chase Slate (1.5K) Citi Diamond Preferred ($800), BestBuy Mastercard ($1500),Bill-Me-Later(1.2K), ,Barclay Mastercard(2K). TigerDirect TigerPay(3.15K), Wal-mart credit card(3.9K), Amazon store card (2K)

equifax - 720, TU - 747, Exp - 734 - report date 11/24/2014
15+ inqs...
Message 41 of 58
CreditCardDiva
Regular Contributor

@juggar wrote:

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@juggar wrote:

BoA is highly generous, in fact, they have always approved my humble CLI request. 

@I maxed the card at $3,500 when buying a car (for that 1% cashback, paid off the card next day with HELOC @ 3% APR)

two days from then I asked for a $1500 increase, they approved it immediately, I now know I should have asked for MUCH more now. Oh well, its a siggy now. 

We can disagree with the actions of someone else and forcefully voice that disagreement but we need to do so in the proper manner.

I was just explaining to him that it was not a wise choice to cancel one of his best credit cards because " they wont give me an increase" and " im scared of fraud...(really???)".

If I came off a rude or disrespectful then I am sorry but people need to hear the truth and not be told what they want to hear. 

But....you weren't asked for the truth, or anything else....so there really is no indication of what the person "wanted to hear".  Other folks got across your point in a much nicer way. Unsolicited advice often falls flat anyway...so it doesn't need to be communicated in a rude, disrespectful manner.

Credit Rebuild Start Date (3/12)
Oakland County CU Visa ($500) | Capital One Quick Silver One ($600) | Capital One Secured MC ($200) | Walmart ($1600) | PayPal Credit ($1000) | Jared ($3500) | Victoria's Secret ($850) | Gettington ($3500) | Amazon Store Card ($850) | NewEgg Preferred ($2400) | Discover IT ($1500) | Dillard's AMEX ($1500) Target ($1500) | Overstock Store Card ($1200) | Kohl's ($1500) | Old Navy ($650) | Macy's Store Card ($800) | The Limited ($350)
Message 42 of 58
Involver
Valued Contributor

LOL the classic "People have no right to judge things I post publicly on the internet" response.

Message 43 of 58
HiLine
Blogger

@black_citi wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Personally imo not a wise idea. With time comes limit increases and the BOA Cash Rewards card is a top tier card. 400 more limit on a card not as good. Why didn't you just sock drawer it and wait?

Yup, canceling a no-AF credit card is almost never a good idea. In fact, Bank of America is one of the most generous credit issuers with credit limits. Most, if not all, of the 5x or 10x CLI's reported on this forum have come from Bank of America. Usage is the key.

Do they like when you pif each month? With an initial limit of $500 I can only go so far. I tried asking for a cli on my 4th payment but was declined. I used about 95% of my limit for the first 4 months and pif each month. 

I always paid in full, usually before the statement closed so that I would not be considered a risky consumer. I don't know how long you'd have to do this to qualify for a large credit limit increase though, honestly. I didn't apply for more limit with them until the 10th month. Worth the wait.

Message 44 of 58
juggar
Contributor

@Involver wrote:

LOL the classic "People have no right to judge things I post publicly on the internet" response.

I know right? Thats EXACTLY what I thought when I read her post.

I was like, if he didnt want input then why did he post it? LOL 

Amex Green, Chase Freedom(7.5K), Nationwide Visa Signature(6K), Chase Sapphire Preferred(6k), Cap One VentureOne visa signature (5K) BoA Cash Rewards siggy (5K), BoA travel rewards visa siggy(5K) PayPal Extras Mastercard(5K), Capital One QuickSilver(2.25K) Newegg Preferred Account(2K), Citi Forward(3.4K), Dell Account(2K) Discover IT(2.4K), Chase Slate (1.5K) Citi Diamond Preferred ($800), BestBuy Mastercard ($1500),Bill-Me-Later(1.2K), ,Barclay Mastercard(2K). TigerDirect TigerPay(3.15K), Wal-mart credit card(3.9K), Amazon store card (2K)

15+ inqs...
Message 45 of 58
HiLine
Blogger

In general though, I totally understand people's desire to close credit cards they do not use or need. I view this as the same thing as throwing away stuff that you no longer use; at this point anything becomes trash. Having more makes people stressful. The OP has a fine credit history, I'm sure. Closing this one card is not going to do his credit any harm.

After being on this forum for a while, you can get the illusion that everyone has perfect credit or needs or wants to have prefect credit. You can become obssessed with making your credit perfect and helping people get perfect credit. The truth is, this process takes a lot of will power and personal attention; it takes away the time and energy you could spend somewhere else. For the vast majority of people, 3-4 credit cards is all they need and want and feel comfortable managing. Anything beyond this can cause stress.

I really never thought about this until I started my blog and tried to step in my readers' shoes. I have also tried to talk my friends into getting their 2nd credit card, and listening to their reasoning made me realize how uncomfortable it is for most people to step into this credit territory. If managing 2 credit cards sounds that uncomfortable, how would the general population feel about handling 5 or more credit cards?

Most of the time, squeezing a couple of extra points of credit score just isn't worth the effort for most people.

Message 46 of 58
black_citi
Established Contributor

@juggar wrote:

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@juggar wrote:

My reasons for cancelling my card are not vague as you put. Its your opinion and you're entitled to it but I didn't ask for anybodys imput on my decision. I just gave my personal reasons for why I did what I did just like everyone else. I'm 100% percent convinced you've made some rather stupid mistakes that I would consider dumb and illogical but since it has nothing to do with me, I don't care. 

Make More, Spend Less
Message 47 of 58
black_citi
Established Contributor

@Involver wrote:

I am well aware that when things become public people judge and when that judgement is returned back to them they get offended. However what I did was a personal decision without anyones imput and why some are having a difficult time understanding that is beyond me. 

Make More, Spend Less
Message 48 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like the reaction you recieved caught you off guard and you are now doubting your decision to close the card but obviously it's too late......going from closing a card because they wouldn't give you a CLI in 5 months to all of a sudden closing it because you don't want to be in debt sounds like a bit of a backpeddle to me but it is what it is, you should always stand by your decisions, just because others (including myself) disagree doesn't mean you should try to adjust your stance on why you did what you did to fit our needs.....screw it, it's your card, not ours, do whatever you see fit and enjoy life.

Message 49 of 58
juggar
Contributor

@black_citi wrote:

@Involver wrote:

I am well aware that when things become public people judge and when that judgement is returned back to them they get offended. However what I did was a personal decision without anyones imput and why some are having a difficult time understanding that is beyond me. 

You posted on public forum guy... its implied you want feedback on your post whether it be negative or positive, otherwise, why post? 
You spake thusly saying "but I didn't ask for anybodys imput on my decision"
What you are saying is that you came here to make a statement and did not intend to solicit feedback, which makes absolutly zero sense being that this is an internet FORUM

15+ inqs...
Message 50 of 58
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.