cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling 2 (maybe even 3) cards that I don't really want.

tag
jimmy2000
New Contributor

Cancelling 2 (maybe even 3) cards that I don't really want.

Hey all,

I want to get your final thoughts before I pull the trigger and cancel 3 of my cards.  Nordstrom Visa, Express Next and Synchrony Amazon.

I want to cancel the Nordstrom Visa and Express cards because they were used to get a discount when I opened them, and have otherwise sat unused.  I do not shop at either often, much less to justify having the cards.  They were only applied for because of the initial sign up discounts.

I also want to cancel my Synchrony Amazon card because I am product changing my Discover Chrome to the standard Discover It and setting Amazon.com as one of my 5% categories.  Synchrony bank is overall good but the online interface is garbage and I would prefer to avoid the unneccesary exposure.  I want to only have my GAP Visa with Synchrony, nothing else.

Should I go forward with cancelling, or keep them?  I'm 19, debt-free and DUMB hahaha.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cancelling 2 (maybe even 3) cards that I don't really want.

I would keep Amazon. Disco only has Amazon in 4Q, the rest of the year you are left with 1% for Amazon purchases. If you use Amazon a lot, the Amazon Store Card is a no-brainer. 

Discover IT is a rotating category card. While you have to activate the category every quarter, you don't get to pick what it is. 

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

It seems that none of the cards have annual fee therefore I would just sock drawer them. It’s really up to you.
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover does not have a "set my category's card"

They choose the categories for you. (You have to activate them but that not the same as choosing) Right now it happens to be Amazon in Q4. That will change on January 1

Message 4 of 14
NRB525
Super Contributor

When applying for cards I prefer to go slowly, to look for a definite reason to add a card. Similarly, when closing, it takes me a while to decide a card really isn't going to work.

You've got quite a few cards in a short time. It's fine that you are looking at closing some of them, but it seems like a quick turnaround.

My suggestion would be to close the Express Next card, as that seems obviously least useful. Then monitor the Nordstrom VISA and Amazon. As noted, the Amazon card can continue to provide discounts. The Nordstrom, as a VISA has usefulness, and it doesn't look like you have another card that can get 3% at Nordstrom ( or department store ) .

Or you can close all three. It's your choice. You have quite a few cards already, and maintaining those does require a choice to do so.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 14
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

How complicated can the website be to make a payment, etc.? I use my Amazon card when i need to . Once a charge post i sign in, pay it, always get alerts i have a pending payment then when it was paid. Synchrony isnt the Devil.....

Thats ComenitySmiley Wink
Message 6 of 14
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

If your credit file is young and beginning, I would keep them. Without knowing your credit file it would be tough to say for sure. Do you have high credit limits? What is your total limits all added up? Keeping these around, you could hope for auto clis, therefore increasing your credit limit overall. This will help for utilization and possibly qualifying for other cards at higher initial limits. If that is the case, keep them around. Lock them online if possible and use them every once in awhile. Just pay in full when the bill comes. In fact, setup automatic bill pay.

Message 7 of 14
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

As others have said, you don't get to pick your 5% Discover category, it simply rotates each quarter (and you have to enroll).

Right now, Amazon is a 5% category, but that will change on Jan. 1.

Assuming you shop at Amazon enough for it to matter, I would keep the Amazon store card for that reason.

Generally speaking, though, I don't see a reason not to close three cards, as long as you'll still have three cards after, and as long as it doesn't wreck your utilization. I recently closed three cards, and there was very little effect on my FICO scores. My VS scores went up. That may be profile-dependent and your results may vary. JMO, good luck!

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 8 of 14
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

BTW, IIRC the Nordy card gives you early access to their half-yearly and yearl sales. I had one that went from 700 to over 7000.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I personally think Amazon is worth keeping, if not for the 5% back, then for the 0% APR on expensive items. 

Sometimes I just want to buy a new laptop or something and I don't have the funds immediately available. The 0% APR option means I don't ~have~ to wait. 

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.