cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling my citi DC for the apple card.

tag
black_citi
Established Contributor

Cancelling my citi DC for the apple card.

Ive had the DC card since 2016 but haven't used it much. I always seem to have issues with Citi's app and the fact this card has done away with those benefits I decided I'm going to cancel it next month.

I use my apple card for buying food and absolutely love how easy it is to use. Most of the truck stops i go to accept apple pay and I use the mess out of it and LOVE IT!

The citi dc has a $1700 limit. An amount I had since the beginning.

I use to like citi but for some reason i just can't get into anything they offer anymore. I've almost cancelled this card at least 4 times in the last 3 years but always decided to keep it open. No longer.
Make More, Spend Less
Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cancelling my citi DC for the apple card.

Just pull the trigger and put them out of their misery!!!!

They're nothing special outside of the travel cards... 

I keep mine at this point just for the options if something goes awry with another lender... they don't see hardly any use but, I do have some cash stored in rewards and the 1.99% offers are amusing on purchases.  Plus they're 37K combined CL... not much in comparison to other cards.

Unfortunately we don't have much data on how well GS will grow these accounts yet.  But, I would rather focus on Amex than Citi when it comes to CL's and $'s.  I know how they perform and they're easy to deal with in comparison to Citi.

Message 2 of 29
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

Just one persons opinion.    This is my strong suggestion:

Do NOT cancel the Citi DC card, especially if your scores in your signature are accurate.

050719:     
021924:     

FICO 08 scores listed and are stagnated until multiple derogatory items expire over the next two years.
Message 3 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

You don't need a baseline 2% card?
Message 4 of 29
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@BallBounces wrote:

Just one persons opinion.    This is my strong suggestion:

Do NOT cancel the Citi DC card, especially if your scores in your signature are accurate.

This. Keep it for your scores.

I've considered closing mine, but find I'm not in much of a rush. My Costco card (still with a good extended warranty) has enough credit so there's no need for a pseudo-reallocation.  And I'm logging into Citi to check the Costco card balance, anyway.

I don't anticipate a return to TYs but maybe they'll add something new I can PC to.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 29
Rebuild2019
Valued Contributor

I agree with @BallBounces. Put the card in a drawer. Buy a small item every 2-3 months to keep it active.

CARDS: Discover It | Kohl’s | Truist Spectrum Cash Rewards | Truist Bright | CITI Custom Cash | Chase Freedom Flex | Chase Amazon Prime Visa | VACU Cash Rewards Mastercard | Sam’s Club Mastercard | PenFed Gold Visa | NFCU CashRewards | NFCU More Rewards | NFCU Platinum Visa | AMEX BCE | Verizon Visa | Wells Fargo Active Cash | Amazon Prime | NFCU Auto Loan
Starting Scores 05/2019: EQ:519, EX:525, TU:574

CLOSED : Capital One Quicksilver One | OpenSky |
Message 6 of 29
black_citi
Established Contributor

You guys sure know how to convince someone. I'll keep it open. I just will never use it again. Maybe Citi will cancel it themselves after a while. That way my hands stay clean. Smiley Happy

However I thought even after cancelling a card your scores won't be affected for at least 10 years? 

Make More, Spend Less
Message 7 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure why you wouldn't just use your DC card through Apple Pay...?
Message 8 of 29
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@black_citi wrote:

You guys sure know how to convince someone. I'll keep it open. I just will never use it again. Maybe Citi will cancel it themselves after a while. That way my hands stay clean. Smiley Happy

However I thought even after cancelling a card your scores won't be affected for at least 10 years? 

It will continue with your AAoA building for 10 years approx.  Just saying if your scores are in the 630's you got very lucky getting that card from citi and should stay in their good graces if you eventually want to use card again or pc to another card in future, etc.

Nothing wrong with apple card where you can use apple pay for 2 or 3%, but limited at alot of places that dont take apple pay thus DC to fall back on non-cat spend 

Side questions did a baddie come back up on your CR or something as you have some decent cards with good limits looking mainly at cap1 cards.  Or is it a utilization thing suppressing your scores, etc or something else?

Message 9 of 29
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@black_citi wrote:

It is true that even if cancelled, the card will remain on your report for 10 years, and it will age. That said, your score can still be hurt by closing a card, if closing the card increases your utilization. Otherwise, it really is a preference whether to keep it or not, but I'd tend to echo the other comments. It's really not hurting anything even if you don't use it.

Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.