Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot PC Citi AAdvantage card ??!

tag
Deuter
Regular Contributor

Cannot PC Citi AAdvantage card ??!

So i just finished talking with Citi EO. Representative told me when he checked in his system that my AAdvantage Plat card was not eligible to Product Change to ANY card. The AA card is 10 months old. 

How is this possible? Has anyone had something similar. He manually checked for Citi Double Cash, MilesUp, Costco, Rewards+. 

What does it means, that i am stuck with a $95 AF card forever, until i close it? It is my oldest account. Well i only have 2 accounts now. 

Wow, i didn't expect that!

Then i have to re-think my whole CC strategy plan as of now i have a $495 Citi Prestige and a $95 (or more i think they changed it) AAdvantage Plat card. I only want to pay an AF for one card. The representative was extremely polite and super helpful, he gave offered me his phone number and said he will investigate about it and call me back. 

I wanted to Sock Drawer my Citi AA card which is the oldest account and only use the Prestige. Leaving the AA for backup, that's why i was planning to downgrade it to a no AF card. Has anyone ever had this response? 

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Cannot PC Citi AAdvantage card ??!

"Started Credit November 2018"

I PCed AA Platinum Select to Costco in 2017, but I'd had the card for ~368 days (just over one year).

*Not sure how your card can be 10 months old.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 22
Deuter
Regular Contributor

I got the card in May 2018. But it started reporting a FICO score in November 2018

Message 3 of 22
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Unfortunately, if no PC is available through the system, it can't be changed until the account is eligible for a PC. So, perhaps once your AF hits you can entertain contacting them to see if that's available.
Message 4 of 22
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:
Unfortunately, if no PC is available through the system, it can't be changed until the account is eligible for a PC. So, perhaps once your AF hits you can entertain contacting them to see if that's available.

Or even contact them in the weeks between the card reaching one year of age and the AF hitting.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Even if you close the account it will stay on your report for 10 years.  They offered product change on my first Citi AA card but they said it would take 2 months to go through so I would have to pay annual fee and hope for a refund. I just cancelled it.  If you want to keep the account open a lot of times you can get them to waive the fee.

Really I see no reason to keep it open for me.  I close my Citi cards as the annual fees post.  I currently have 4 Citi AA cards.  All of them will be shut on their fee closing date. 

Message 6 of 22
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

You got the card only ten months ago?  Just close the account.  Ten months isn’t worth worrying about.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 7 of 22
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Only issue I have would be as a general rule I don't think closing cards before one year is a good idea. I would just wait one year and PC or close it if you really want to . I normally PC mine to a double cash it would be something I actually use .

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did have my Citi AA card for more than a year that said I PC’ed from AA to Double cash easy with one phone call so it’s possible to do maybe you just have to wait it out.
Message 9 of 22
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

I've always been under the impression that you can't PC any card up or down within the first year.  Some please to chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.  I know the Card Act has something to do with upgrading to a card that has a higher annual fee but not sure how it relates to downgrading.  

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.