cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot PC Citi AAdvantage card ??!

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Thanks i will wait 2 more months that is when the card ha...

@Deuter wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Deuter wrote:

Thanks i will wait 2 more months that is when the card has it's first birthday.

For her Birthday what can i downgrade the AA Plat to? MilesUp, DC, Rewards+

Cast your favorite vote ! hehe

Something you'll find useful in the long run with little or no bonus. Probably DC if you're not a Costco member.

All right.

I have another question.. Can i always double dip the travel credit of the Prestige?

This is kind of obvious, but its is a little bit abstract i'm am trying to imagine.

So i opened acct March 2019. I ask for Travel Credit in 2019. Then in 2020 Jan or Feb i use again the $250. So i am double dipping for the same cycle AF. Can i do this forever? like aslong as i keep the card. 

I'm asking because the Travel Credit is one of the most easiest way for me to get the value for the card. For example i'm not eligible for Global Entry as i'm not American or British. 

"2Beginning 1/4/2019 your Card Account is eligible to receive statement credits of up to $250 per calendar year for Travel Purchases made by the Primary cardmember or Authorized Users and which appear on your billing statement during that calendar year."

https://information.citi.com/prestige/intro

Since you got the card in March 2019, you can get the 2019 and 2020 credit before the next AF is due.

If you use your 2020 credit in January 2020, then you won't be eligible for the credit again until 2021. The "double dip" only applies for the first 12 months, so you can't do it "forever".

Keep the card 12 months, pay 1 AF, get 2 $250 credits.

Keep the card 24 months, pay 2 AFs, get 3 $250 credits.

Keep the card 36 months, pay 3 AFs, get 4 $250 credit.

etc.

Of course, they'll probably make some other change to the credit before 36 months are up. The card goes through major changes frequently. I got it at a high point (2016) and it's currently pretty weak IMO. Maybe the next changes will be for the better.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 21 of 22
Deuter
Regular Contributor

Re: Thanks i will wait 2 more months that is when the card ha...

"2Beginning 1/4/2019 your Card Account is eligible to receive statement credits of up to $250 per calendar year for Travel Purchases made by the Primary cardmember or Authorized Users and which appear on your billing statement during that calendar year."

https://information.citi.com/prestige/intro

Since you got the card in March 2019, you can get the 2019 and 2020 credit before the next AF is due.

If you use your 2020 credit in January 2020, then you won't be eligible for the credit again until 2021. The "double dip" only applies for the first 12 months, so you can't do it "forever".

Keep the card 12 months, pay 1 AF, get 2 $250 credits.

Keep the card 24 months, pay 2 AFs, get 3 $250 credits.

Keep the card 36 months, pay 3 AFs, get 4 $250 credit.

etc.

Of course, they'll probably make some other change to the credit before 36 months are up. The card goes through major changes frequently. I got it at a high point (2016) and it's currently pretty weak IMO. Maybe the next changes will be for the better.

Thanks was, it was a delightful explanation. So i'm safe the 1 year, the 2 year i have to try and get $250 out of value of the other Perks. By the 3rd year it would probably be too expensive. 

I know i picked the card on it's downpoint but given that i don't have an SSN/ITIN to apply from other lenders such as Chase, i guess i am doing the best card that i can. I agree the CSR would be a better card, or a card you could more easily get the value of. Amex Plat was not widely accepted in Europe, so all of these factors led me to the Prestige, which might be my endgame without a SSN. 

After Year 1, I will probably PC Prestige to something else. It depends. 

Thanks very much and i hope to learn how to use my card to it's maximum potential. I don't get the cards because of the bonuses but because i wanted to have a stable card to fall on in case of an emergency. 

Message 22 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.