Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap 1 does it again & about to open a case with CFPB

tag
AzCreditGuy
Established Contributor

Cap 1 does it again & about to open a case with CFPB

I stopped using my Cap1 card for a while and started up again when my business needed to pay off some expenses and since Cap1 offers BT with no BT fees, I have been using this for 2 months now. Yes I know some of you will state Cap1 will frown on you or even close your account for repeated BT like this. Why though, if they dont like this, why dont they remove this feature on my account and others who have done the same thing? 

Anyways last month on my 1st BT I took out the BT after my statement closed to avoid any interest and pay it off on the following month which would give me a month give or take some days. 

Cap 1 ended up charging me a INTEREST CHARGESmiley FrustratedPECIAL TRANS for $2.97, yes this is a small charge but there was no reason. I was within in my full month to pay off this BT, I called into Cap 1 to get this removed. They did and they could not explain how I was charged (SURE)

This month they have done it again for $43.37, even though I have timed it where 2 BT would not incure any interest.  Let me know if I am in the wrong here... And I am pretty sure this for the BT I did in June 2022 as you can see below on my spreadsheet, no interest should have been added to the account since it was paid off within the timeframe to avoid interest. Cap1 also reported this interest as a balance to all 3 credit reports too. 

Screenshot 2022-08-04 092532.png

18 REPLIES 18
learningcredit54
Regular Contributor

Re: Cap 1 does it again & about to open a case with CFPB

I am not sure what is going on with Cap 1 lately. The past 2 months I have paid my balance in full DAYS before statement date and they are reporting balances to my reports. I haven't disputed or anything cause it hasn't dinged my report but something is off. Your case further proves this. I too may open a case with CFPB.

Business Cards:
Amex Business Plus: 6000 // Amex Business Hilton Honors: 3000 // Amex Delta Gold: 4900 // Amex Business Platinum NPSL POT 5000 // Amex Business Gold NPSL POT 15000

Personal Cards:
Discover It Cash Back: 8000 // Chase Saphire Preferred: 5000 // Truist Enjoy Beyond: 4500 // Amex Blue Cash Preferred: 1000 // Cap1SavorOne: 2000 // Cap1 Secured Platinum: 200 // Cap1 QuiksilverOne 2000 // Citi Double Cash: 5200 // Amex Platinum NPSL POT 4000 // Amex Gold NPSL POT 1750

GOAL SCORES 750 ACROSS
Message 2 of 19
AzCreditGuy
Established Contributor

@learningcredit54 wrote:

I am not sure what is going on with Cap 1 lately. The past 2 months I have paid my balance in full DAYS before statement date and they are reporting balances to my reports. I haven't disputed or anything cause it hasn't dinged my report but something is off. Your case further proves this. I too may open a case with CFPB.

Ok so I am not crazy man, BTW a lot of people will pay it off thinking they owe this not realizing some maybe in the right to have a full month to pay this off.

Message 3 of 19
Flfico
Regular Contributor

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I always thought there wasn't any grace period with BTs as there is with purchases so interest begins accruing immediately. Do you have the fine print from the balance transfer?

Message 4 of 19
crystal626
Regular Contributor

@Flfico wrote:

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I always thought there wasn't any grace period with BTs as there is with purchases so interest begins accruing immediately. Do you have the fine print from the balance transfer?

That's my understanding too?

Message 5 of 19
purebulldogs
Contributor

In the past when I've done a balance transfer that had no fee like 3% or whatever it was, it still charged interest starting the day the balance showed up on the account. There was no grace period on it even though there was no fee to do it 

that could be what's going on, but not completely sure though 

Message 6 of 19
Remedios
Credit Mentor

With Capital One, there is a modified "grace period" 

After the statement prints, there is an option to pay *interest saving balance" which consists of  minimum payment and amount for new purchases. 

So, yeah, it's doable to have a BT and continue using card for purchases. 

Message 7 of 19
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

@AzCreditGuy  I did some research correct me if I missed something in your post let me know. I went on Capital One web site and I used a disclose from one of their cards.  Your disclosure may have different terms. In your post you stated  the Cap 1 waived the BT transfer fee. Per your screen shot below looks like you tranferred $ 7,000 in total. The balance transfer fee using the example screen shot is 7000 X 3% which is $210.00 if my  is correct. It looks like Capital One has done that Your spreedsheet does not show that amount. The agreement also states that balance is subject to the balance transfer interest rate at the time of the transfer.  The interest rate I do not know. If my math is correct it is around 7.5% based on the amount in the post.  What I am I missing?

Cap1xfer.PNG

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash+ 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 C State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Quorum FCU State Department FCU State Department FCU Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 8 of 19
ThomasJNewton
Frequent Contributor

@crystal626 wrote:

That's my understanding too?

It has been my experience with most cards. I am not sure it is always true.

Message 9 of 19
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

You didn't mention the terms of your balance transfer offer, but this seems like just a clear case of no grace period on a non-0% balance transfer?  You mentioned "no fees," but CapOne usually doesn't offer 0% and $0 fee transfers like some credit unions do and some card issuers have in the past.   Mixing and matching purchases with balance transfers, they do offer the aforementioned Interest Saver option, but even if it's a 1% balance transfer with no fees, there would be interest accrued daily from the time the transfer was initiated.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.