Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap 1 rewards with convenience checks

tag
p-
Valued Contributor

Cap 1 rewards with convenience checks

Do you know if Capital One awards reward points when convenience checks are used?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: Cap 1 rewards with convenience checks

No. Any form of check does not yield rewards.

Message 2 of 6
p-
Valued Contributor

Thought so; thanks.

Message 3 of 6
Jlu
Established Contributor

Convenience checks should be used to keep your shredder in proper working order by feeding them to it.

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 4 of 6
p-
Valued Contributor

@Jlu wrote:

Convenience checks should be used to keep your shredder in proper working order by feeding them to it.

Usually, yes, except I have an unexpected 3k tuition expense.  I've had a couple of hard hits to savings this year, and I don't want to hit it again.  This means I'll be using credit.  The checks are 2% fee, with 0% for a year.  As I do not have any 0% credit cards, the 60 dollar fee is cheaper than two months of interest.  I could app for a new 0% card, but I'm gardening.  It's worth the 60 bucks not to have another inquiry.

If I were to take 6 months to pay it off, I would pay the amortized equivalent of a 6.85% loan.  Since none of my credit cards have an interest rate that low, it's still a better deal.  If something happened and I took the full 12 months, the effective amortized rate would be even lower.

If they gave me 1% back, it would cut the fee in half.  I didn't think they would, but it's still a better deal than the other options.

Thanks for the feedback.

Message 5 of 6
p-
Valued Contributor

Of course, I am open to suggestions - If anyone has an idea how I can get 3k cheaper without an inquiry I would love to hear about it.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.