Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap 1 still secured since 2014?!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap 1 still secured since 2014?!

My husband has a Cap 1 Platinum that started in February 2014 as a $200 secured card....his CL is now $700, but they have not unsecured it. Perfect history, never a missed or late payment and carries minimal balance. He also has a QS1 opened in 2/2016 with a $2k CL, again perfect history. Suggestions on what to do with this platinum card? 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Re: Cap 1 still secured since 2014?!

I'd close the card and get the deposit back. Secured capital one cards prior to 2016 rarely unsecure, it seems. As long as he has at least three other cards besides this one, it won't hurt his scores at this point. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Adkins wrote:

I'd close the card and get the deposit back. Secured capital one cards prior to 2016 rarely unsecure, it seems. As long as he has at least three other cards besides this one, it won't hurt his scores at this point. 

He does have other cards, and he is AU on a few of mine as well. 

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Close it, unless it’s his oldest card (and even then he may consider it). Capital One often “buckets” it’s cards at creation, limiting the card’s potential growth.

The hypothesis on these forums is that when Cap1 sells a credit card asset backed security, the cards underlying the security are permanently classified as whatever quality they were at the creation of the security.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Close it, unless it’s his oldest card (and even then he may consider it). Capital One often “buckets” it’s cards at creation, limiting the card’s potential growth.

The hypothesis on these forums is that when Cap1 sells a credit card asset backed security, the cards underlying the security are permanently classified as whatever quality they were at the creation of the security.

It is his oldest card, which is why he is leary about closing it. My thought is that we are both in a better place credit wise, and we need to consider dumping these subprime cards. 

Message 5 of 10
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It is his oldest card, which is why he is leary about closing it. My thought is that we are both in a better place credit wise, and we need to consider dumping these subprime cards. 

Even at his oldest card, he'll keep the credit history for 7-10 years on a CRAs. You are exactly correct, it's time to dump subprime cards once your credit is in a better place. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Adkins wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Even at his oldest card, he'll keep the credit history for 7-10 years on a CRAs. You are exactly correct, it's time to dump subprime cards once your credit is in a better place. 

Thank you! I appreciate your advice

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

My husband has one from 2016 that doesn't seem to "want" to unsecure and it's also his oldest. The part about closed accts not hurting your score... Experian reported one of my credit cards(not oldest, 0 balance) as closed and my score dropped about 15 points. After disputing it, they reported it as open(as it should have been) and my score went up 5 points... Smiley Mad

EDIT: Sorry, just noticed the issue was the credit history, not the score. His history would be fine.

Message 8 of 10
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

I had a cap one secured card opened in 2015.   It wasn't unsecuring and I talked to cap one executitive customer service.   The way it was explained to  me is that when you open a secured card that has the option of being unsecured a code is placed on the account.   If at the time you opened it the terms and conditions did not mention unsecuring the card then no code is on the account and it can NEVER be unsecured.   If the code is on the account it MAY be unsecured with no definate time frame. 

In my case no code was on he account and I closed it, got my deposit back and moved on. 

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 9 of 10
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

I would look at prequals for QS (no AF) and Discover.

Once he gets one or both of those with a decent limit, I would close the secure card then.

With Cap One, he may not get good CLI, but as he credit gets better, better cards with better limits will become available instead.

GL!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.