Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One CLI Joke

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap One CLI Joke

So I recently hit my one year mark with my two Cap One Quicksilver cards. Both had a SL of $500 and with their credit steps program was increased to $750 at 5 months.  It's been a full year since the card was opened and decided to request a CLI. I was offered a whooping $100 for each card. Is this just a sign of the times and they are being careful due to the economy? 

Side note my Discover IT card just gave me $2500 CLI after being opened for a year. SL on that card was $7500. 

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Cap One CLI Joke

@Anonymous wrote:

So I recently hit my one year mark with my two Cap One Quicksilver cards. Both had a SL of $500 and with their credit steps program was increased to $750 at 5 months.  It's been a full year since the card was opened and decided to request a CLI. I was offered a whooping $100 for each card. Is this just a sign of the times and they are being careful due to the economy? 

Side note my Discover IT card just gave me $2500 CLI after being opened for a year. SL on that card was $7500. 

@Anonymous 

No bucketed cards like these with cap one , 100 CLIs are very common .

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 14
tnhomestead
Frequent Contributor

Well, I got told I was using the card too much, about 90% utilization. So I paid off went to minimal use and was told you dont need a cli since you dont use the card! So congratulations on getting what you got!

Message 3 of 14
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Message 4 of 14
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thats a standard Cap One punchlineSmiley Wink

Message 5 of 14
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@tnhomestead wrote:

Well, I got told I was using the card too much, about 90% utilization. So I paid off went to minimal use and was told you dont need a cli since you dont use the card! So congratulations on getting what you got!

Use your cards how you see fit. More usage is always betterSmiley Wink. Cap One and CLI dont mixSmiley Wink

Message 6 of 14
blindambition
Senior Contributor

@Jnbmom wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous 

No bucketed cards like these with cap one , 100 CLIs are very common .

+1000000000

Those cards aren't really worth placing much energy into. Just good for age when rebuilding, or just starting.

Message 7 of 14
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

You may have outgrown CapOne...or at least the cards you have. Hang on to them for history if you want but I’d start looking towards a flat 2% card that can grow with usage.
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

^^^ this. Pretty sure my recent sizable PenFed PCR approval will be the bullet that ends my $600 QS. 

Message 9 of 14
BearsCubsOtters
Frequent Contributor

This topic has been brought up for years here. It always makes my head tilt like a confused dog when I see it so often. I would think that this is common knowledge about Capital One; but then I forget that there is always a new freshman class of Capital One cardholders who have yet to learn just how disappointing Capital One can be.

As others have said, Capital One rebuilder cards are "bucketed" meaning there is a ceiling of how far one can go with them before the card will no longer grow/improve. 

I used to sing Capital One's praise. I still believe they are the best bank to go to for building or rebuilding credit as they are fair, honest and transparent. However; their business model/practices seem counterintuitive and they (like most banks/companies) have no loyalty. So, when people ask me about Capital One, I ask them where they are in their credit situation. If they have excellent credit, I tell them to run from  Capital One. If they are new or rebuilding, I tell people to look into Capital One but I strongly suggest after a few years when their credit has improved that they need to dump Capital One. Capital One rebuilders are like that hot girl in high school that you dated for a few years and then broke up with her after graduation so that you could date other girls in college. 

With all the CLDs lately that they have been doing and their frigid rules about PC and other things, I do not recommend them long term. And as someone who had their limit slashed by $5,000 recently, I have a hard time feeling bad for your increase, no matter how small lol. 

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.