Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One Closed my QS

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap One Closed my QS

Capital One closed my QS due to inactivity for 24 months and pulled $8500 in available credit out from under me. Brought me under $200k.  😡

I called them and they told me it was permanently closed and I asked why not send an email warning they would do this. No response except "I'm sorry, sir". 
So last night I went through the "sock drawer" and pulled out 10 cards that I never use and I'll have to use them one by one at the gas station or vending machine so they don't get cut off. 
I'm almost ready for an app spree. Mid July. 

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Cap One Closed my QS

@Anonymous 

You are not the first and unfortunately won't be the last I am sure. There have been several this week being reported as being closed by Cap One.

My dh's walmart Cap one MC was closed 10K CL. They never sent an email, waiting on letter.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 22
Gmood1
Super Contributor

I'm sorry OP. But you aren't a noob at this. You can only be mad at yourself. 

If you shop Amazon. You can drop a 50 cent charge on each, by reloading your gift card. I need to do the same this weekend.

Message 3 of 22
Eagered2succeed
Frequent Contributor

I mean honestly no use in 2 years is it really that surprising they closed it? Cost more for them to maintain the account then it does to keep you as a customer. I can see them starting to close accounts much sooner than that now. At least it's still a positive trade line for 10 more years.

Message 4 of 22
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

pulled out 10 cards that I never use and I'll have to use them one by one at the gas station 

1 trip, 10 cards, 1 gallon eachSmiley Very Happy

Joking aside......sorry it happened.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 5 of 22
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Another 2 year no use story. Sorry to read this but that wasnt pulling it out from underneath you. Youve been around the forum long enough to know you gotta use your cards or risk losing them.  I think we are seeing more stories on non usage  closing ( 2 years) than actual cc shutdowns. Lesson for everyone is to put usage on your cards at least twice a year, i like the every 3 months approach, just to be safeSmiley Wink

Message 6 of 22
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Gmood1 wrote:

I'm sorry OP. But you aren't a noob at this. You can only be mad at yourself. 

If you shop Amazon. You can drop a 50 cent charge on each, by reloading your gift card. I need to do the same this weekend.

+100

Message 7 of 22
TekkenQQ7
Established Contributor

Use it or lose it, but it's time for a new one.

Message 8 of 22
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

Just found out this evening they closed my QS account to new purchases this evening also. I went to activate a card I had for 2 years and got the message "no card to activate". Called in and a supervisor answered and told me it had been closed a few mos. back for non usage--not used since 2015 to be exact--although it still shows as open on my reports and my Cap One accounts page. It won't officially be closed though until next February--so I would be able to claim my unused cash reward--but still can't activate and charge on it though. Not really too upset although this was the card that got me back in Cap One's good graces after burning them on 3 cards back in the 2000's (paid most of it back though). Plus it had a very high 23.99 APR also and I have plenty of other 1.5% cards with MUCH better APRs.

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 9 of 22
core
Valued Contributor

@GApeachy wrote:

1 trip, 10 cards, 1 gallon eachSmiley Very Happy

I did this once with a pocketful of cards because I wanted a good mix of MCCs in my transactions on those cards.  That was the most tedious process ever:

(swipe card).... "Credit or Debit?".... "Enter zip code".... "Swipe rewards card or press Enter for none"... "Car wash?"... "Would you like a receipt?"... (return nozzle to pump each time to reset the darn thing)

Stuff like that you don't really notice during the occasional fill, but after 5+ cards it became maddening.  Never again.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.