Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One Excellent Card conquest "venture"

tag
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

Cap One Excellent Card conquest "venture"

for those of you that may have been following my progress, you may recall my initial interest in acquiring a ventureone card. If you can recall, i attempted in march 2011, and was turned down. tried once more for the cash rewards world mastercard in august 2011, and got turned down once more.

in april, the urge to obtain a capital one card became to great to hold back for the "excellent" cards, and went for a cap one card for newcomers. three things i desire from a cap one card are NO annual fee, non cobranded rewards structure, and most of all a LOW apr and credit limit above 4.5k. well i applied for cash rewards newcomers, and was approved, but only meet two of my three goals. i got a no af card with a great design and standard non cobranded rewards program.

but i also received only a 2k limit with an inane apr 25% apr.

anyhow, two weeks ago, my credit karma score increased to 754, and my approval odds according to their website for the venture one card went from fair to very good. once again the thoughts of applying for a venture one card was nonstop and eventually, a combination of confidence and irristability, i pulled once again (third time).

and once again, i was NOT APPROVED.

i have decided to wait it out six months and then apply again. i will probably get denied once more. hmmm...

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
distantarray
Established Contributor

Re: Cap One Excellent Card conquest "venture"

with your scores why are you even bothering with the Venture card? There are so many better cards out there like the 2% Priceline card with no annual fee, or the Nasa 2% card

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 2 of 13
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

with your scores why are you even bothering with the Venture card? There are so many better cards out there like the 2% Priceline card with no annual fee, or the Nasa 2% card

i know. it a bit unnecessary, but with cap one no forex fee policy, on top the reward structure program and a great looking card, i cant help myself. i think the fact that is difficult to aquire is part of its allure.

Message 3 of 13
beb86
Valued Contributor

I know there top tier cards are a tough nut to crack.....its not the mustard looking card is it?

Message 4 of 13
distantarray
Established Contributor

@scottwagnon wrote:

@distantarray wrote:

i know. it a bit unnecessary, but with cap one no forex fee policy, on top the reward structure program and a great looking card, i cant help myself. i think the fact that is difficult to aquire is part of its allure.

difficult to aquire but very subprime compared to a lot of other cards out there, but if it's your goal then I guess it's fine =)   I think 

Message 5 of 13
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

@beb86 wrote:

I know there top tier cards are a tough nut to crack.....its not the mustard looking card is it?

that is correct. this is my second attempt at it too. and i dont agree that this is a subprime card at all. a capone card with no preset spending limit and a revolving limit over 5k, in addition to a 12 percent apr, i'd say this card is pretty freakin sweet. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 13
beb86
Valued Contributor

@scottwagnon wrote:

@beb86 wrote:

that is correct. this is my second attempt at it too. and i dont agree that this is a subprime card at all. a capone card with no preset spending limit and a revolving limit over 5k, in addition to a 12 percent apr, i'd say this card is pretty freakin sweet. Smiley Wink

The top tier cards from cap1 are world MCs and VISA siggys

Message 7 of 13
distantarray
Established Contributor

@scottwagnon wrote:

don't get me wrong I don't hate the card, I just think there are plenty of better cards out there =)

I would get the Flexperks card over this one by US Bank anyday =)    (1 flex perks point is 2% and they have 3 flex point categories which offers 2 points each worth upto 4%) although it does have a 2% foreign transaction fee.

Message 8 of 13
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Also keep in mind that Cap One list "requirements" (though some people are able to slip through the cracks!) for their excellent tier cards. They like to see a credit or loan opened for 3 years or more with a 5,000 or more limit. That may give you a better chance of an approval if you get closer to that goal! If you've already met that, then I would sit and wait until your score improves more! Smiley Happy they may want to see more positive use of your current CapOne cards!

Message 9 of 13
heathuhhhhwebbbb
New Contributor

@scottwagnon wrote:

for those of you that may have been following my progress, you may recall my initial interest in acquiring a ventureone card. If you can recall, i attempted in march 2011, and was turned down. tried once more for the cash rewards world mastercard in august 2011, and got turned down once more.

in april, the urge to obtain a capital one card became to great to hold back for the "excellent" cards, and went for a cap one card for newcomers. three things i desire from a cap one card are NO annual fee, non cobranded rewards structure, and most of all a LOW apr and credit limit above 4.5k. well i applied for cash rewards newcomers, and was approved, but only meet two of my three goals. i got a no af card with a great design and standard non cobranded rewards program.

but i also received only a 2k limit with an inane apr 25% apr.

anyhow, two weeks ago, my credit karma score increased to 754, and my approval odds according to their website for the venture one card went from fair to very good. once again the thoughts of applying for a venture one card was nonstop and eventually, a combination of confidence and irristability, i pulled once again (third time).

and once again, i was NOT APPROVED.

i have decided to wait it out six months and then apply again. i will probably get denied once more. hmmm...

You should get in contact with the Executive Office.  They were able to overturn my denial for the Cash Rewards Mastercard when I was denied.  And your score is much higher than mine.

09/2013: TU FICO 692, EQ FICO 698, EX PLUS 709. No apps until December 2014!
Freedom: $1500 Cap1 Plat: $2000 Cap1 Cash: $1500 Barclays: $4000 Walmart: $2700 GE Luxury: $4800 Jared: $1500 Davids Bridal: $1500
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.