Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One Steps CLI

tag
mrmagic9799
Regular Contributor

Re: Cap One Steps CLI

Well I just tried via the backdoor number....no dice for me...

Message 11 of 18
barbaralee
Established Contributor

They never increased my boyfriend's cl. EVER. He got that card straight out of high school, and to be fair I believe he wasn't using it very well at first. His mother told him to use his cc for everything, which he did. He would max it out, PIF, max out, PIF, rinse, repeat. Then he met me, and when we were finally in a comfortable enough stage in our relationship I gingerly mentioned that I didn't think maxing out his cc every month was very good for his credit history. I told him 20% uti, max. He googled it, thought it made sense, and after that would use it for no more than 20%. Fast forward a year and a half later and they STILL have not increased his cl above the meager $300 and now he's  going into a doctorate program. By this time I'm working for USAA and he starts showing interest for one of their cards.

So I applied for him and he got approved for over $4800. So Cap1 is being sock drawered, to be used strictly for net purchases. I'm kind of curious to see if they will increase his credit now that he has added a pretty substantial tradeline.

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

am i lucky or what?  i just got a platinum cash reward with 3k limit, since i've been reading everyone is getting $300-$500 starting limit. I am not sure it's the avg credit one or the excellent credit one. but the one i got has no annual fee and with starting limit $300, and that's from the mail offer. i try to check cap1's site, the avg one has $39 annual fee, starting limit $300. excellent has no annual fee with $500 starting limit. so i don't really know which one did i get. however, i seriously doubt that i got the excellent credit one. since this is only my 2nd card. my 1st card is orchard rebuilding card with only $200 limit. i can only guess my auto loan really helped??? i got a 20k auto loan like 7 months ago, and 696 TU FICO before i applied the auto loan

Message 13 of 18
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Wow! Very lucky. Did you receive an invite in th mail or did you just apply? How long have you had your Orchard card? Maybe the length of time on that card helped you out.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 14 of 18
Rvan1961
Valued Member

Capital One Rewards card started at $500, then 3 months later $750, then about 5 months later, when I had the card at $700 balance, they upped me to $1250 out of nowhere Smiley Happy I did call the 'backdoor' number last week, the agent explained to me that I am due at my 6 month mark, which is next month, and that Cap One doesn't do the credit increase by request for the last couple of years. He said sit tight and it will go up in a month or two.Dang, I HATE waiting...lol

The interest free period is over on this card so I don't really use it to much (Try to stay under 9% utilization). The rewards is nice and I am hoping since my credit is getting better they will increase it again soon. Good Luck, it's a great starter card as far as what I needed for now, hope to get PenFed when my credit is better.

Starting Score: 622
Current Score: 650
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got the offer from the mail. orchard is not even 2 yrs old. avg age of credit is like 1 yr 2/3 months lol

btw, how to quote to reply?

Message 16 of 18
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I got the offer from the mail. orchard is not even 2 yrs old. avg age of credit is like 1 yr 2/3 months lol

Hello and welcome to the Forums.

When you are replying to a post you will see a "Quote" button near the top of the page to the right of the "Spell Check" button. Click on this to quote what you are responding to.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 17 of 18
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the info! I got my 2 "step" cards by mail invite, too, but only got $500 and $300 CL. Your history w/Orchard no doubt worked to your advantage. It seems like some people w/Cap One have low CL and it never gets beyond a certain point (even w/CLI), and others get really high CL and CLI. It sounds like you're one of the lucky ones! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.