Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One Usage Advice

tag
dznen1
Regular Contributor

Cap One Usage Advice

Hello All,

I have been approved for the Cap One Secured card,  My question is on usage.  

My ccredit limit is $200.  How much should I charge ond pay in full each month for my best outcome so that when the time comes I will have the best chances of getting the periodic increases?  

I also have an Open Sky w/$200 cl.

Advice appreciated.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
krisssmmm
Regular Contributor

Re: Cap One Usage Advice

I've never had the secured card, but if it's like the unsecured use it like debit and pay it right off. Multiple payments if necessary. 

Message 2 of 9
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Charge everything and pay it off as you go.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@dznen1 wrote:

Hello All,

I have been approved for the Cap One Secured card,  My question is on usage.  

My ccredit limit is $200.  How much should I charge ond pay in full each month for my best outcome so that when the time comes I will have the best chances of getting the periodic increases?  

I also have an Open Sky w/$200 cl.

Advice appreciated.

My advice is to keep using it and paying it off over and over again before the statement cuts. By the time the statement cuts make sure your balance is $50 or less.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 4 of 9
dznen1
Regular Contributor

Thanks to all for always giving such great advice and info.

Message 5 of 9
happypill
Valued Contributor

Yes, that's the right advice.  Charge & pay as you go, multiple times per month if you have that much spending to do.  Just keep in mind that it's unlikely your secured card will go up much.  I think most people see a $100 increase around the 6-12 month mark.

What the usage will get you though, is a positive internal record with Capital One and they definitely reward that big time.  About 2 years ago I had a non-reporting business card with Capital One and added a secured card.  The secured card started at $200 and increased to $300 sometime later.  About a year after getting the secured card I was approved for a $3000 QS1 (now a $5500 Venture One); then 3-4 months after that I was approved for a $5k Venture (now a $7.5k Quicksilver), and 6 months after that I was approved for a $30k Venture.  Scores were below 700 at that time, but Capital One definitely rewarded the spend I had on their cards.

Message 6 of 9
dznen1
Regular Contributor

Happypill, that is so encouraging.  Thanks for sharing. I am determined to do better with my credit journey and this is an awesome forum with awesome people to learn and  grow and share. 

Message 7 of 9
UncleB
Credit Mentor

My QS1 started off as a HSBC/Orchard Bank MasterCard with a credit line of $300.  I used it for everything, and paid it in full multiple times each month.  I wasn't overly concerned with the statement showing a low balance (sometimes it showed PIF, sometimes it showed I was maxed, depending on how my payments hit).  If you're really watching your score it will help if you can keep your reported utilization as low as possible, but at the time I wasn't concerned with this.

Fast-forward to now, that card is a QS1 with a credit line of $3900, with almost all of that growth since the card was converted to Capital One.  With lots of heavy usage and a little time, Capital One accounts can grow very quickly!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

A year ago my Cap One card had a $300 limit, it was just increased to $2,250.  For several months I used it for everything and paid in full mutliple times per month.  It is now a card that sits in the safe because I have been able to get much better cards.  It was the first that started my rebuild and I now have over 55k in CLs.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.