cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One credit limit increase explanation ?

tag
JOHNINAZ
New Contributor

Cap One credit limit increase explanation ?

Decided to move forward with a Cap One card with rewards, cash back, bla bla bla but they also state they will increase your limit after 5 timely payments. Since I do this on my two cards now (leaving either no balance or a minimal one) I am asking what to expect ? After 5 months will the bump it $100 or 250 or 500 ? Its only a $500 limit now so I doubt they will double it and will they increase it again in another 5 months if those payments are made on time. FYI, up until this year I've only had a AMX but that was probably 10-12 years go. So Im kinda new to the credit card thing and with having past credit issues its a whole new learning curve for me in the world of plastic. Any input would be appreicated. THX

Starting Score: 539
Current Score: 645,630,615
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
MyDataMyChoice
Valued Contributor

Re: Cap One credit limit increase explanation ?

Ive seens some people have a card go from 300 ---> 2500

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital one is weird with CLI's . I put thousands on my card in the 6 months hoping to get a better CLI but only got 200 . My girlfriend that rarley used her $300 cap 1 card got an auto CLI of $3000 after her 5th statement . That's 10X her starting limit . With capital one you never know . Just use the card as you normally would and hope for the best when it's time for your CLI .
Message 3 of 15
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Capital one is weird with CLI's . I put thousands on my card in the 6 months hoping to get a better CLI but only got 200 . My girlfriend that rarley used her $300 cap 1 card got an auto CLI of $3000 after her 5th statement . That's 10X her starting limit . With capital one you never know . Just use the card as you normally would and hope for the best when it's time for your CLI .

+1 cant agree more.. To whom they give good raises to vs. 200 or 300 CLI's makes absolutely no sense at all!  Its seems the give bigger limits to people with lower scores to be honest to maybe get customer loyalty with them?  I dunno, I can't figure them out for hte life of me w/regards to CLI's.

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah there's no pattern to follow with them . They gave me $200 on the card that I used on the daily .. Then without me asking gave me $300 on the secured card that I put less than $50 dollars on in the first 6 months .
Message 5 of 15
Chris679
Established Contributor

Mine went from $500 to $3000 a few years back.
Message 6 of 15
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

+1 cant agree more.. To whom they give good raises to vs. 200 or 300 CLI's makes absolutely no sense at all!  Its seems the give bigger limits to people with lower scores to be honest to maybe get customer loyalty with them?  I dunno, I can't figure them out for hte life of me w/regards to CLI's.

Or they hope to get some interest Smiley Happy ....really looks like a spin on the lottery wheel with Cap1 and for once I was among the lucky ones on the spin ..lol

Message 7 of 15
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@lg8302ch wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Or they hope to get some interest Smiley Happy ....really looks like a spin on the lottery wheel with Cap1 and for once I was among the lucky ones on the spin ..lol

+1

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lg8302ch wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Once i'm entrenched in the 700+, I'm going to test this whole lottery wheel thing and app for a Venture or a VentureOne to see if i'm yet good enough for a 5 digit starting CL.

Message 9 of 15
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Once i'm entrenched in the 700+, I'm going to test this whole lottery wheel thing and app for a Venture or a VentureOne to see if i'm yet good enough for a 5 digit starting CL.

Of course taking 3 HP's Smiley Tongue

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.