Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One credit steps Platinum

Roward74075
Regular Contributor

Cap One credit steps Platinum

Hello, all.

I'm currently rebuilding my credit, and I believe in the next few weeks I'll be ready for the Cap One Platinum app (waiting for a few derogs to update on CR). It comes up as a pre-qual, but better safe than sorry.

My question is, if it comes back with the 300 >> 500 "credit steps program", does this hinder future CLIs? As in 'ok you passed, here's your 500...and that's it. App again for a better card later'?

TIA!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gdale6

Re: Cap One credit steps Platinum

@Roward74075 wrote:

Hello, all.

I'm currently rebuilding my credit, and I believe in the next few weeks I'll be ready for the Cap One Platinum app (waiting for a few derogs to update on CR). It comes up as a pre-qual, but better safe than sorry.

My question is, if it comes back with the 300 >> 500 "credit steps program", does this hinder future CLIs? As in 'ok you passed, here's your 500...and that's it. App again for a better card later'?

TIA!

No it doesnt limit future increases though it would most likely never become  large limited card. With Cap-1 you are better to app for a new card once your profile allows for it, this is what I did and I got a starting 5K CL while my platinum (since upgraded to QS) has never exceeded 2450 for a CL.

Message 2 of 4
Roward74075
Regular Contributor

Thank you for your response.

I'll be gardening for awhile after the next (3rd card) app, and want something that is at least worth keeping several years.

Message 3 of 4
mickvain
Regular Contributor

I know this is an old thread but thought I would add my personal DP with Capital One and Credit Steps. I opened my Cap1 QS1 in Dec 2013 with a $500 SL. Finished Credit Steps in May 2014 and received an increase to $1500. Received a few CLI's since then, last one maybe 2 years ago. Current limit is $9500.  Converted it to a QS at some point as well.

I don't know if Cap1 has changed it's policies or criteria, but that has been my experience. Cheers!

AoOA- 7 - AAoA - 4.6 - Clean Profile - 23% UTI - 10k/44k Limits

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.