Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One is quick on the draw

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap One is quick on the draw

I am seeing a lot of examples in this thread of why one should not apply for cards they can clearly not meet the bonus threshhold on. To each their own however. Smiley Surprised

Message 11 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't app what I can't spend and PIF, and only on things I normally pay for daily. I'm in transportation and live on the road, hotel every other night. So for myself, over 3 month's, it's nothing for me to put 15k - 20K, on my cards, and that doesn't include the upcoming move of my family. While I'm not great at remembering which card has what requirement, I haven't missed a single bonus yet and my UTI is always under 1% monthly. I don't buy anything I cannot PIF at month's end. After living 8+ year's on debit cards, I have no issue's keeping within my means. But I'll admit, I still have alot to learn with regard to how to get the most out of these rewards. But I don't need to learn that paying interest doesn't make rewards viable. That's simple math. 😀😁😀😁
Message 12 of 30
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am seeing a lot of examples in this thread of why one should not apply for cards they can clearly not meet the bonus threshhold on. To each their own however. Smiley Surprised

Which I don't understand. Nobody forced you to apply for the card. Yet we see constant threads of "help I can't meet spend!"

It's not exactly rocket science to look at the required spending for the bonus you want so badly, and then determine if you can reasonably make the spend, before applying. Takes all of 2 minutes of reading about the card, and running the numbers for yourself. Well worth it rather than obtaining a card that you miss out on the bonus for (especially something like Venture which IMO is not a terribly useful card to begin with after the bonus, so without the bonus, it's even worse).

I think it's just the fact that some cards are really popular and hyped up, and it makes people want them without really figuring out if their spend justifies the card etc.

Message 13 of 30
baller4life
Super Contributor

I have never gotten a card that I couldn't meet the spend. I just switch all my bills to that card for 3 months. It's silly to go out and spend extra just to try to meet a spend for a bonus. Myfico peeps are smarter than that! Right? Smiley Happy
Message 14 of 30
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@baller4life wrote:
I have never gotten a card that I couldn't meet the spend. I just switch all my bills to that card for 3 months. It's silly to go out and spend extra just to try to meet a spend for a bonus. Myfico peeps are smarter than that! Right? Smiley Happy

I'd hope so, but I've seen posts sometimes that seem to indicate otherwise....some overspend to get bonuses. Makes zero sense.

Message 15 of 30
baller4life
Super Contributor

Now that's pretty sad! Smiley Sad
Message 16 of 30
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
So Cap One will give you the points once you charge the full spend requirement even if you don't PIF, correct ???

That is correct,  or at least it was for me. 

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 17 of 30
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This is true.  I reached my spend a month early,  just on normal everyday things. 

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 18 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Imhotrodcrazy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
So Cap One will give you the points once you charge the full spend requirement even if you don't PIF, correct ???

That is correct,  or at least it was for me. 

I'm sorry. I just read my above question and realize where some confusion may have happened requiring spend requirements. My question intimates that perhaps I cannot afford the spend requirement or be able to PIF. That's not what I was trying to convey. For some reason I was under the impression that in order to reach the spend requirement and thus receive the bonus, that you had to charge the required amount AND have it PIF prior to 90 day period ending and acquiring the bonus. I was wrongly looking at this bonus as a "payment requirement" not a "spend requirement". So I was thinking I must have it PIF by 90, not have spent within 90. There goes my debit card and using cash for the past 8 year's mentality kicking in. Sorry for the confusion. After re-reading my question above, I totally understand why ops would question people signing up for card's they can't meet the spend requirements. My bad. Sorry. 😀😁😀

Message 19 of 30
Man-Of-Steel
Established Contributor

I met my spend bonus for my Venture today (6,121 miles).  So, it'll be interesting to see how quickly they add the bonus miles to my account.  I seem to remember that they were pretty quick with my Quicksilver bonus early last year as well.  More power to you folks who have decided that you may not make the spend bonus, but there was no way I was not getting this bonus.  That was the main reason for my interest in this card.  I already took a trip last month and love the fact that I'll get to double-dip with the amount that I've already spent on the trip.  Before taking the trip, I was trying to set a travel notification and found that I couldn't set one because it wasn't an international trip.  I've done a lot of swiping with this card and it all went off without a hitch.  No issues at all with any of my charges, locally or while traveling.  I'm very pleased with this card and Capital One right now. Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.