Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One restricted card; can it be reopened

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap One restricted card; can it be reopened

I'm in the process of clearing up some late payments and baddies on my CR. I have a capital one platinum MC with a 500 CL opened in Oct 2014 back in June 2015 I went over my CL and had a balance of 1,000 on the credit card. I made small payments toward paying it down but did miss payments one 120 days missed payment in 2015 and one 60 day and 120 day in 2016. Sometime in early 2016 they restricted the card.(I lost the card so I was not worried about paying them as quickly as I should) I would pay whenever I could and did not communicate with Cap One about my situation or make payment arrangements. 

I have been making on time payments for the last 5 months 100.00 or more and about a week ago I just paid off the entire balance (754.00). My questions is since the account is restricted and I no longer have the card. Will i need to reapply for a Cap One card or is it possible that they can reopen my old account and reissue me a new card? I know that I don't want to close the account but since I no longer have the card and it is now paid in full it will remain a dorminate account with a 0 balance. 

All response are appreciated thank you! 

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Re: Cap One restricted card; can it be reopened

I just closed hubby's secured card and it said the card was restricted and can't be re-opened. I would assume it's the same for you.
Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you I guess that would make sense. 

Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm in the process of clearing up some late payments and baddies on my CR. I have a capital one platinum MC with a 500 CL opened in Oct 2014 back in June 2015 I went over my CL and had a balance of 1,000 on the credit card. I made small payments toward paying it down but did miss payments one 120 days missed payment in 2015 and one 60 day and 120 day in 2016. Sometime in early 2016 they restricted the card.(I lost the card so I was not worried about paying them as quickly as I should) I would pay whenever I could and did not communicate with Cap One about my situation or make payment arrangements. 

I have been making on time payments for the last 5 months 100.00 or more and about a week ago I just paid off the entire balance (754.00). My questions is since the account is restricted and I no longer have the card. Will i need to reapply for a Cap One card or is it possible that they can reopen my old account and reissue me a new card? I know that I don't want to close the account but since I no longer have the card and it is now paid in full it will remain a dorminate account with a 0 balance. 

Restricted doesn't always mean permanently closed, such as possible fraud or verification.

In your case most probable permanently closed,

Message 4 of 22
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Call or chat to be sure.
Message 5 of 22
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

How on earth did you get Capital One to let you go over your limit? When I was stuck in starting limit purgatory ($300, $500), I could never go over the card limit. 

Even when I had higher limits, I was still unable to get them to let me go over the card limit. I tried a $2,100 purchase once when I had a $2,000 limit and was declined. 

Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Truthfully I have absolutely no idea how I was able to exceed the CL. I think it was due to the transaction posting times and caused me to go over the limit but I'm not sure. I kind of hate that I even allowed it to happen. 

Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

My husband had a similar situation with his Capital One. We ran into tough times and were unable to pay it for a couple months. We paid the card off. He called to see if they would remove the restriction, and they said they couldn't. 

A week later, and now about every week after, he received a preapproved offer for the same darn card. We just file them in miscellaneous (trash can). We ride with NFCU now. I'd never think of going back to Capital One.

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

It may be a good idea to call and confirm that the card is closed. As someone else mentioned, a restricted designation does not always mean closed.

If you don't want to call, then review your credit reports to see if the account is listed as closed.
Message 9 of 22
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

How on earth did you get Capital One to let you go over your limit? When I was stuck in starting limit purgatory ($300, $500), I could never go over the card limit. 

Even when I had higher limits, I was still unable to get them to let me go over the card limit. I tried a $2,100 purchase once when I had a $2,000 limit and was declined. 

Probably a lot of late fees, over limit fees, and lots of interest fees. If the OP was making random/scattered payments but not bringing the account current, that's a lot of late fees. 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.