Did you mean: 

Cap one closed

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Cap one closed

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

I think the problem is that the "buy a pack of gum a year to keep the card active" thing has become much more common. Even outside of this forum I've seen it recommended on various articles about whether to close unwanted cards etc. Now that the idea of "don't close it, just minimally use it" is becoming common lenders are likely seeing tons of unused credit lines, but not quite as many people closing the account outright. So, maybe the standards will tighten up.

The numbers of people actually doing this is likely still extremely small. Remember, most people don't have even 4 cards, much less the numbers we amass here, and it's much more likely they're actually using all of their cards. 

Sure, in the general population it's still a small number, absolutely. But I do think it's become more common to sockdrawer cards and there are more unused lines floating around out there then before.

Even without that, the current enviornment means that unused lines are easy targets for cutting.

Message 31 of 35
UH_HUH
Valued Contributor

Sorry to read about your Capital One

AA @Jnbmom ..I know it will not effect

you and DH that much. Thanks for sharing your story :-)

Cheers

Message 32 of 35
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Appleman wrote:

I just spent some time loading some money into my Amazon account with cards that have been dormant for a while.

Very smart moveSmiley Happy

Message 33 of 35
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

I think the problem is that the "buy a pack of gum a year to keep the card active" thing has become much more common. Even outside of this forum I've seen it recommended on various articles about whether to close unwanted cards etc. Now that the idea of "don't close it, just minimally use it" is becoming common lenders are likely seeing tons of unused credit lines, but not quite as many people closing the account outright. So, maybe the standards will tighten up.

The numbers of people actually doing this is likely still extremely small. Remember, most people don't have even 4 cards, much less the numbers we amass here, and it's much more likely they're actually using all of their cards. 

A lot easier to use 4 than 50Smiley Indifferent

Message 34 of 35
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@UH_HUH wrote:

Sorry to read about your Capital One

AA @Jnbmom ..I know it will not effect

you and DH that much. Thanks for sharing your story :-)

Cheers

@UH_HUH 

ThanksSmiley Happy Yes it just seems like this was bound to happen to some accounts, whether it is solely for non usage or combined with the current situation.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 35 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.