Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap one secured card change

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap one secured card change

hi all

Recieved notice that as of jan 19 Capital One will no longer be able to add additional security deposits to in increase credit limit. However i may recieve a higher credit limit in the future. Anyone has anymore info?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap one secured card change

Got my letter  today.  Said same thing as yours.  Plan to close mine at a year.  Doesn't say anything about unsecuring; not worth tying up additional funds if it won't unsecure.

Message 2 of 10
Pway
Valued Contributor

Capital One secured product does not unsecure.  They will tell you to apply for a unsecured product with them. 

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Whats bad is i dont qualify for one of their cards. I keep going to check if i am prequlified but still not according to the site. I have had the secure card for 8 months now. I have a quicksilver but only as an authorized user.

Message 4 of 10
Pway
Valued Contributor

What are your scores?  What baddies do you have on your reports?  Util?

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 5 of 10
ryox03
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Whats bad is i dont qualify for one of their cards. I keep going to check if i am prequlified but still not according to the site. I have had the secure card for 8 months now. I have a quicksilver but only as an authorized user.

That doesn't mean anything. I still do not get anything on the pre qual page but I have a Secured Platinum, Quicksilver One and Quicksilver Visa.

$1,000 Amex ED, Amex PRG- NPSL,$5,000 Quicksilver Visa, $3750 CO Quicksilver One, $3,300 BarclayCard Rewards,$2000 Paypal Credit, $3500 Walmart, $1700 Target. $5000 Kay Jewlers, $3500 Amazon Prime Store Card, $1,600 Discover IT

652 EQ 661 TU 650 EX 4/19/2016
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Got my letter  today.  Said same thing as yours.  Plan to close mine at a year.  Doesn't say anything about unsecuring; not worth tying up additional funds if it won't unsecure.

This is good Intel. Thanks for sharing!

2 ways to level up with an unsecured.

Get the Platinum, PC to QS.  Benefits with no AF.  Lower chance of CLI after 3 statements.

Get the QS1, get a CLI after 3 statements.  Have AF.

Sorry I'm on my phone, I have links to sites that show average Credit Scores at time of approval. Smiley Sad 

I started with Cap1 secured at $300.  Got Platinum with $500 SL. IMO don't need to add funds to secured unless you need the breathing room.  Your credit history will dictate what your SL will be.

Message 7 of 10
taxi818
Super Contributor

BAsically they are saying if you want that limit on that card to be more. You better do it now. Or else you are stuck with it. They did say they will now consider giving you a higher limit based on other factors. Ive had my secured for 2 plus years. Its my oldest card. At this point it is meaningless to put any money in it. They gave me a $500 increase once. so i have $349 cash in the card for a 1k limit. That $349 does not mean much so i will just leave it alone and let the limit sit where it is. Simply for the age. Already have other cap one cards with Decent limits over 5k.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting, I once received a CLI on my secured card, but that was years ago...it's still my oldest open tradeline, so I don't want to close. I may just let my other Cap One lines age and then close at the end of next year. I haven't received anything in the mail from them yet, wonder if this means they will no longer offer secured cards? Which would suck because I know a lot of people (like me) used this card to help re-establish their credit.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's funny too because they didn't announce anything. Like there's been no press release, and I didn't receive a letter... and it's not in the news.....
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.