cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 No upgrade

tag
WavysMommy
Regular Contributor

Re: Cap1 No upgrade

I didn't get an upgrade til month 17 post opening. Some folks YEARS. Some folks still haven't been offered an upgrade after using responsibly for years. So no, all hope isn't lost. You just shouldn't expect an upgrade after 90 days. 

 

I was offered QS card 7 months after I was approved for the secured Platinum card. Just be patient.

 

Message 11 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap1 No upgrade

I've been with Cap1 since 2015. I have never missed a payment or maxed the card out. I've pif tons of times and carried balances tons of times. I habent recieved a cli from then in about 3 years now. And I just received the offer to upgrade to the qs earlier this month. I wasn't offered a cli with the new card, just the benefits of the new card. I have until 2025 until my derogatory sl accounts age off giving me a clean scorecard. Cant wait to ditch cap1 at that time. Until then ill make small charges once a quarter to show usage.
Message 12 of 35
FreedomHammer
Regular Contributor

Re: Cap1 No upgrade

What was your original CL with your platinum MC? Mine is $500. 

Message 13 of 35
Horseshoez
Valued Contributor

Re: Cap1 No upgrade

@FreedomHammer, it seems there are many different experiences for virtually the same result.  In my case I applied for CapOne secured card last April, almost exactly one month after my Chapter 13 was discharged.  I was approved for a $1,000 credit line based upon the $849 security deposit I sent them, and received a Platinum MasterCard for my efforts.  Long story short, the experience wasn't a good one, I quickly learned I either needed a much higher line of credit or I needed to pay the card off every week or two, then I learned making more than one payment per cycle leads to triggering Anti-Money Laundering protocol and they hold your payment for up to 12-days before releasing the funds.  I paid the card off and closed it less than six weeks after I got it, and figured that would be enough to have me blacklisted for a good long time.

 

That was last June; rougly six months to the day after I closed the card I received a PreApproved offer in my E-Mail for a Quicksilver card, yeah, I was shocked.  I applied and was instantly approved for a $3,000 credit limit.  You could have knocked me over with a feather.  Better still, this time around, my experience with CapOne is about as good as can be expected.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 14 of 35
DebtJoe
Regular Contributor

Re: Cap1 No upgrade

Have had both my Cap 1 cards for 1-2 years. My QS1 is 2 years old and QS is over a year old.

 

I have yet to see an upgrade link on either card. I'm fairly sure my QS1 is bucketed as that was one of my first cards that I got during my rebuild, and I pretty much put very little spend on both.

 

I guess it depends on your individual account.



8/1/2018 FICO Scores:

6/29/2021 FICO Scores:
Message 15 of 35
FreedomHammer
Regular Contributor

Re: Cap1 No upgrade

What is the money laundering thing? I've had the account three months (still no upgrade) and make a payment once a week or so and they don't seem to mind. 

 

Message 16 of 35
Horseshoez
Valued Contributor

Re: Cap1 No upgrade


@FreedomHammer wrote:

What is the money laundering thing? I've had the account three months (still no upgrade) and make a payment once a week or so and they don't seem to mind. 

 


Lucky you; when I made them once a week they'd hold the money for up to 12 days.  Numerous calls to customer service yielded bewildered reps who could only say, "We need to make sure they money you sent us will actually be paid."  Yeah, I sent the money via online bill-pay from my bank, they wouldn't even know about payment unless they'd already gotten the money.

 

I work in the financial industry (not banking or credit), and did some research and triggering AML will definitely cause funds to be held to confirm the source of the money is "clean".  Was CapOne triggering some sort of an AML protocol?  That's my guess as so far at least, that is the best explanation.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 17 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap1 No upgrade


@Horseshoez wrote:

@FreedomHammer wrote:

What is the money laundering thing? I've had the account three months (still no upgrade) and make a payment once a week or so and they don't seem to mind. 

 


Lucky you; when I made them once a week they'd hold the money for up to 12 days.  Numerous calls to customer service yielded bewildered reps who could only say, "We need to make sure they money you sent us will actually be paid."  Yeah, I sent the money via online bill-pay from my bank, they wouldn't even know about payment unless they'd already gotten the money.

 

I work in the financial industry (not banking or credit), and did some research and triggering AML will definitely cause funds to be held to confirm the source of the money is "clean".  Was CapOne triggering some sort of an AML protocol?  That's my guess as so far at least, that is the best explanation.


For some reason push payments seem to make banks more twitchy than pull payments do. I never had a problem with the frequency I was paying my Capital One card with pull payments and there were times I would be paying it twice a week when I only had a $500 limit to use. More than a few times now I have heard about banks putting a hold on money that was pushed though so the only bank I push to is Synchrony. 

Message 18 of 35
Horseshoez
Valued Contributor

Re: Cap1 No upgrade


@Anonymous wrote:

@Horseshoez wrote:

@FreedomHammer wrote:

What is the money laundering thing? I've had the account three months (still no upgrade) and make a payment once a week or so and they don't seem to mind. 

 


Lucky you; when I made them once a week they'd hold the money for up to 12 days.  Numerous calls to customer service yielded bewildered reps who could only say, "We need to make sure they money you sent us will actually be paid."  Yeah, I sent the money via online bill-pay from my bank, they wouldn't even know about payment unless they'd already gotten the money.

 

I work in the financial industry (not banking or credit), and did some research and triggering AML will definitely cause funds to be held to confirm the source of the money is "clean".  Was CapOne triggering some sort of an AML protocol?  That's my guess as so far at least, that is the best explanation.


For some reason push payments seem to make banks more twitchy than pull payments do. I never had a problem with the frequency I was paying my Capital One card with pull payments and there were times I would be paying it twice a week when I only had a $500 limit to use. More than a few times now I have heard about banks putting a hold on money that was pushed though so the only bank I push to is Synchrony. 


Color me confused; why a second push payment in a month would be sneered at while the first push payment was welcomed with open arms and immediately posted to my account boggles my mind.  In the end it all worked out for me as I was effectively able to upgrade from a $1,000 CL secured CapOne Platinum card to a $3,000 CL unsecured CapOne Quicksilver card.  

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 19 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap1 No upgrade


@Horseshoez wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Horseshoez wrote:

@FreedomHammer wrote:

What is the money laundering thing? I've had the account three months (still no upgrade) and make a payment once a week or so and they don't seem to mind. 

 


Lucky you; when I made them once a week they'd hold the money for up to 12 days.  Numerous calls to customer service yielded bewildered reps who could only say, "We need to make sure they money you sent us will actually be paid."  Yeah, I sent the money via online bill-pay from my bank, they wouldn't even know about payment unless they'd already gotten the money.

 

I work in the financial industry (not banking or credit), and did some research and triggering AML will definitely cause funds to be held to confirm the source of the money is "clean".  Was CapOne triggering some sort of an AML protocol?  That's my guess as so far at least, that is the best explanation.


For some reason push payments seem to make banks more twitchy than pull payments do. I never had a problem with the frequency I was paying my Capital One card with pull payments and there were times I would be paying it twice a week when I only had a $500 limit to use. More than a few times now I have heard about banks putting a hold on money that was pushed though so the only bank I push to is Synchrony. 


Color me confused; why a second push payment in a month would be sneered at while the first push payment was welcomed with open arms and immediately posted to my account boggles my mind.  In the end it all worked out for me as I was effectively able to upgrade from a $1,000 CL secured CapOne Platinum card to a $3,000 CL unsecured CapOne Quicksilver card.  


I don't know why it makes them twitchy but it's far from the first time I have heard about people pushing payments multiple times in a month and ending up with a hold. It happens with pull payments too at times but seems to be much more commonly complained about with push. 

Message 20 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.