cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 Plat upgraded to QS1 then back to Plat after changing picture on CC. Sort of...

tag
DoogieBall
Regular Contributor

Cap1 Plat upgraded to QS1 then back to Plat after changing picture on CC. Sort of...

Last year I finally got the PC notification to upgrade my then 6 year old Cap1 Platinum to a QuickSilverOne.

Cool, finally getting 1.5%.

I came across a post about unique benefits of CCs and remembered about being able to change the picture on Cap1 cards.

I decided to put a new pic I took on the QS1.  It was approved and I waited for my new card.

Someone on the forum had said that the card would be renamed back to Platinum online but still retain the benefits of QS1.  Okie dokie, that's fine.  When I received the new card, it was rebadged to Platinum MC.  I checked the QS1 card and the back had Platinum embossed but looked like a QS1 on the front.  Never noticed that before.

Not a big deal as I'm only using the card for EZPass refills and age of accounts.

Is the QS1 card really a platinum with the 1.5% and a $19 AF?

R.I.P Cards 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Cap1 Plat upgraded to QS1 then back to Plat after changing picture on CC. Sort of...

@DoogieBall wrote:

Last year I finally got the PC notification to upgrade my then 6 year old Cap1 Platinum to a QuickSilverOne.

Cool, finally getting 1.5%.

I came across a post about unique benefits of CCs and remembered about being able to change the picture on Cap1 cards.

I decided to put a new pic I took on the QS1.  It was approved and I waited for my new card.

Someone on the forum had said that the card would be renamed back to Platinum online but still retain the benefits of QS1.  Okie dokie, that's fine.  When I received the new card, it was rebadged to Platinum MC.  I checked the QS1 card and the back had Platinum embossed but looked like a QS1 on the front.  Never noticed that before.

Not a big deal as I'm only using the card for EZPass refills and age of accounts.

Is the QS1 card really a platinum with the 1.5% and a $19 AF?

In your case, its PCed Platinum to QS1. You keep the original approval terms, but with added rewards. Basically, same card but the product change option is there to entice use on a starter card like Platinum that may not otherwise leave the wallet once better cards are obtained.

Message 2 of 6
NinjaParadox

Re: Cap1 Plat upgraded to QS1 then back to Plat after changing picture on CC. Sort of...

There are Card names and then there are MC Designations

The confusion arises from Capital One's having a card named Platinum.

The MC designations are Platinum, World and World Elite

So you used to have a Platinum (named) Platinum (MC Designation) card

Now you have a QS1 (named) Platinum (MC Designation) card

I hope that makes sense, and clears things up

Message 3 of 6
DoogieBall
Regular Contributor

@NinjaParadox wrote:

There are Card names and then there are MC Designations

The confusion arises from Capital One's having a card named Platinum.

The MC designations are Platinum, World and World Elite

So you used to have a Platinum (named) Platinum (MC Designation) card

Now you have a QS1 (named) Platinum (MC Designation) card

I hope that makes sense, and clears things up

Lol.  I had to read it a few times.  It definitely gets confusing. Thanks for the info!

R.I.P Cards 

Message 4 of 6
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@DoogieBall, as mentioned, you changed your Capital One Platinum Platinum Mastercard to a Capital One QuicksilverOne Platinum Mastercard.

What happenes with Capital One's online accounts is that the default is to identify the card by it's Visa or Mastercard product name. You'll see names like Platinum Mastercard, Visa Platinum, World Mastercard, World Elite Mastercard, or Visa Signature.

If you have a stock card design, the system will show an image of the card with Capital One's product name, e.g. Quicksilver, Savor, or whatever. Because the system can't show custom images, your online account reverts to the default, which is to show the Mastercard product name.

Occasionally, often during Saturday night maintenance, Capital One can't display their product images to anyone. Everyone sees the Visa/Mastercard product names. And then we have a collective panic attack here on the board because people see "Platinum" and think their PC was undone. Smiley Happy

In my case, I have three Capital One cards. Two are stock cards and display as Savor and Quicksilver. A second Quicksilver is customized and displays as World Mastercard. During maintenance and occasionally at other times, I see that the images have disappeared. At that point, the Savor displays as a Platinum Mastercard and the first Quicksilver displays as a Visa Signature.

Message 5 of 6
DoogieBall
Regular Contributor

@HeavenOhio wrote:

@DoogieBall, as mentioned, you changed your Capital One Platinum Platinum Mastercard to a Capital One QuicksilverOne Platinum Mastercard.

What happenes with Capital One's online accounts is that the default is to identify the card by it's Visa or Mastercard product name. You'll see names like Platinum Mastercard, Visa Platinum, World Mastercard, World Elite Mastercard, or Visa Signature.

If you have a stock card design, the system will show an image of the card with Capital One's product name, e.g. Quicksilver, Savor, or whatever. Because the system can't show custom images, your online account reverts to the default, which is to show the Mastercard product name.

Occasionally, often during Saturday night maintenance, Capital One can't display their product images to anyone. Everyone sees the Visa/Mastercard product names. And then we have a collective panic attack here on the board because people see "Platinum" and think their PC was undone. Smiley Happy

In my case, I have three Capital One cards. Two are stock cards and display as Savor and Quicksilver. A second Quicksilver is customized and displays as World Mastercard. During maintenance and occasionally at other times, I see that the images have disappeared. At that point, the Savor displays as a Platinum Mastercard and the first Quicksilver displays as a Visa Signature.

The whole "platinum" designation is what was confusing me.  Now that it's been explained, it's much more clear.  I just assumed Cap1 used platinum as it's primary description for their entry/building cards.  It's good to understand it!

And to think, all i wanted was a cool picture on my QuickSilverOne.

R.I.P Cards 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.