Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 Platinum PC Question

tag
marcforza1
Frequent Contributor

Cap1 Platinum PC Question

I've had the Cap1 Platinum card for two years now with a $1500 limit on it. I haven't used it much for the past 8 months and will have whatever balance I have left over paid off by April. How difficult will it be to PC up to the Savor One card without them doing a HP? I've read that Cap1 can be pretty stingy with CLI and the Platinum cards can be difficult to pc. I'm not planning on doing this until later in the summer since I'm continuing to let my scores grow (scores in my sig is not current since I haven't been on for awhile, should be in the 650s). I also have the QS One card that I only use for gas every other week. I've always found this forum very helpful from when I was on here almost two years ago. 

FICO 8 Scores 12/2017: EX-596; TU-604; EQ-591
Current: EX-648; TU-665; EQ-678
AAoA: 4.4 yrs
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap1 Platinum PC Question

I was upgraded from the platinum to the regular QS two weeks ago and it was a soft pull.
Message 2 of 9
CramEiko
Established Contributor

When I did my PC from Platinum ($300) to QS1(auto cli to $1,500) to QS (auto cli to $3,500) I was using the card as a semi daily driver. Always PIF prior to the statement cut date. That being said I was able to PC my Plat - QS1 to a no-AF QS (it's still a platinum level card, just says QS on the frontside). It took a couple calls to get it done but it's done (almost 3yrs ago). They may try to tell you that you can't PC but, you can at least PC to a no-AF card. From what I've read here on MyFico, you may have a better chance with PC's due to your starting CL <$1,000 which seems to be some kind of card tier limit.

Good Luck!

edited to add : all done with SP's

Updated Feb 2023:
Citi Double Cash: $26,300
Citi Costco: $33,800
PenFed Power Cash: $50,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited: $33,400
NFCU Cash Rewards: $29,000
BoA Unlimited Cash: $99,900
Wells Fargo Active Cash: $50,000
Citi AAdvantage Executive: $30,500
Wells Fargo Mortgage 30yr fixed 3.625%

Business Cards:
BoA Business Advantage Unlimited Cash: $8,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000

RIP: EECU PLOC | BBVA PLOC | Chase SP | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | WF Propel | Cap1 QS | AMEX Gold | BoA Custom Cash | Lowes | Barclays Aviator Red
Message 3 of 9
marcforza1
Frequent Contributor

You do make a good point there after I went back to look at the QS that doesn't have the AF. 

@CramEiko wrote:

When I did my PC from Platinum ($300) to QS1(auto cli to $1,500) to QS (auto cli to $3,500) I was using the card as a semi daily driver. Always PIF prior to the statement cut date. That being said I was able to PC my Plat - QS1 to a no-AF QS (it's still a platinum level card, just says QS on the frontside). It took a couple calls to get it done but it's done (almost 3yrs ago). They may try to tell you that you can't PC but, you can at least PC to a no-AF card. From what I've read here on MyFico, you may have a better chance with PC's due to your starting CL <$1,000 which seems to be some kind of card tier limit.

Good Luck!

edited to add : all done with SP's

card and the QS One? 

Message 4 of 9
marcforza1
Frequent Contributor

The other option I was thinking of was that if I can't PC the Platinum up to the Savor One or QS is to try to PC the QS1 to the QS or Savor One in the fall since it'll be over a year and a half since having that card. I can always leave the Platinum as a SD for emergency use and try to move the balance to one of the higher cards if they let me. The Platinum is my oldest card along with my Chase FU, so I don't want to close it right away and affect my AAoA. From what I'm understanding, the Platinum card is like the "black hole" of bucket cards.

Message 5 of 9
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@marcforza1, Capital One PCs don't involve pulls.

Currently, cards can't be PC'd to Savor or Savor One. It's been that way since the cards were revamped in August. I'd expect that to change soon enough.

I wouldn't be surprised if your Platinum had an offer to PC to Quicksilver. You could take that offer and figure that chances are good that after six months, a Savor/SavorOne PC will become available. (Once a card has been PC'ed, offers don't become available again for six months.)

QuicksilverOnes are notoriously hard to PC. But the good news is that you're using the card each and every month. The handful of data points we've collected indicates that doing so improves your chances. I was able to PC two QS1s after 12 or 13 consecutive months of usage. Keep using the card every month as you have been. And call in and check for offers each and every month. If a PC is availble to a no-fee card, take it.

Message 6 of 9
marcforza1
Frequent Contributor

@HeavenOhio wrote:

@marcforza1, Capital One PCs don't involve pulls.

Currently, cards can't be PC'd to Savor or Savor One. It's been that way since the cards were revamped in August. I'd expect that to change soon enough.

I wouldn't be surprised if your Platinum had an offer to PC to Quicksilver. You could take that offer and figure that chances are good that after six months, a Savor/SavorOne PC will become available. (Once a card has been PC'ed, offers don't become available again for six months.)

QuicksilverOnes are notoriously hard to PC. But the good news is that you're using the card each and every month. The handful of data points we've collected indicates that doing so improves your chances. I was able to PC two QS1s after 12 or 13 consecutive months of usage. Keep using the card every month as you have been. And call in and check for offers each and every month. If a PC is availble to a no-fee card, take it.

Thank you so much for that advice! I found the link that shows the rewards upgrade and it did allow me to PC the Platinum to the QS. So I got that all taken care of and I'll hold out until later this year to see if they decide to let customers PC to Savor One. My next step (later this summer) is to check with a banker at Chase to see if I have a chance to be preapproved again for the CSP and then go from there.

Message 7 of 9
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@marcforza1, call in or chat to check for upgrades to your QS1. If one has multiple Capital One cards, the link seems to only be capable of displaying one of them. If there's no offer now, keep using the card each month, and check for upgrades each month.

Message 8 of 9
marcforza1
Frequent Contributor

@HeavenOhio wrote:

@marcforza1, call in or chat to check for upgrades to your QS1. If one has multiple Capital One cards, the link seems to only be capable of displaying one of them. If there's no offer now, keep using the card each month, and check for upgrades each month.

I'll definitely keep using it each month like normal and check for the upgrades. At the most, I only charge around $40-50 a month on it for gas and coffee. Thanks!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.