Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 PreQual...?

tag
Charmante
Frequent Contributor

Cap1 PreQual...?

They Pre-Qualified me for the Platinum AND QS1... Their Pre-Qual System says it ONLY checks for their SUBprime cards... SO -- since I PreQual for those 2 -- is it likely I ACTUALLY could be approved for better?

Which one SHOULD I apply for?

Which of their PRIME cards is EASIEST to get?

I'm a VERY thin file beginner. 677 credit score (EX), 1 Macy's card, only 4 Months old, $10,000 limit. Less than 1% util., CLEAN FILE: NO baddies, 1 inq.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap1 PreQual...?

Keep in mind that the QS1 has an annual fee.  Platinum has no fee, no rewards but you can also upgrade it to a QS after a couple of months. 

Message 2 of 6
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

@Charmante wrote:

They Pre-Qualified me for the Platinum AND QS1... Their Pre-Qual System says it ONLY checks for their SUBprime cards... SO -- since I PreQual for those 2 -- is it likely I ACTUALLY could be approved for better?

Which one SHOULD I apply for?

Which of their PRIME cards is EASIEST to get?

I'm a VERY thin file beginner. 677 credit score (EX), 1 Macy's card, only 4 Months old, $10,000 limit. Less than 1% util., CLEAN FILE: NO baddies, 1 inq.

Based on information from your previous posts, you will likely only qualify for their subprime cards right now. The Capital One Platinum card was my first card ($300 limit), and then I got a Discover It card 5 months later ($500). This may be a good place to start. Getting premium cards with high limits this early on is just not likely at all, despite having a $10,000 store card.

Message 3 of 6
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Keep in mind that the QS1 has an annual fee.  Platinum has no fee, no rewards but you can also upgrade it to a QS after a couple of months. 

Yes, good advice, +1. If you want a solid chance of approval go for the Platinum. With responsible use you may see an upgrade to the no AF QS as early as 3 months. Worst case, after 181 days from approval most folks have no issues PCing it it the QS. If you start with the QS1, it is the most difficult of any of their cards to upgrade. Good luck and let us know how it turns out! Smiley Happy

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed, you really should just wait for your scores to generate and then follow prequals. Don't race into things and condemn yourself to low-limit hell with subpar cards that won't grow much or do much for rewards.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Agreed, you really should just wait for your scores to generate and then follow prequals. Don't race into things and condemn yourself to low-limit hell with subpar cards that won't grow much or do much for rewards.

^This

I did this to myself with the QS1, Apple card and other cards before I had my FICO scores Smiley LOL

Just wait the 2 months to get a FICO, then you can go with Amex and Discover with probably pretty good limits. Patience pays and you're so close!

Capital One starter cards are for rebuilding more than anything else now

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.