Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 QS1 AF Waived

tag
rbentley
Established Contributor

Cap1 QS1 AF Waived

I have a QS1 which is my oldest card at 8 years and about 4 years older than my next card.  It is bucketed with my lowest CL of $2,125 but does have a great APR of 10.15%.  Unfortunately it also has a $35 annual fee.  I have paid that fee for years because I didn't have other cards and until I joined this forum, I didn't know it could be waived on a curtesy basis.

It was just hit with the AF and I was prepared to just close it, as I now have much better cards, but I called and asked if they could waive the fee this year, pointing out that I have never had it wiaved before.  They did not hesitate and instantly agreed to wiave it for this year.  Not sure I will put much of a spend on it, but at least my 10 year clock on its history is not starting.

If you have a card with an annual fee try asking for a waiver.  Failing that, if the fee is not justified by the rewards, close it.  Do not hang onto it so long that it becomes your significantly oldest card.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
JaseT
Established Contributor

Re: Cap1 QS1 AF Waived

You might try product changing that card to another Cap One offering that has no AF so you won't have to worry about it next year!

BK7 Filed 12/16, Discharged 3/17 *** Current Revolving CL Total $122.1k *** PIF/AZEO
6/19 FICO SCORES:
On My Radar Cards: Nothing ATM
Future Goal Cards: US Bank Cash +, Citi Double Cash, Discover It, BoA Cash Rewards, USAA Cashback Rewards Plus Amex
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed.  If you haven't come across it yet search for Capital One Product Change Link and you ought to find a link where you can check for upgrades from Cap One without even calling.  If an offer appears for you and you like it then it's an automatic change online and you get a new card with same history and number in ten days or less!

Message 3 of 8
rbentley
Established Contributor

I have tried to PC the card two dozen times or more over the years with no success.  I have tried with Cap1 CSR's as well as the upgrade link.  I tried in my chat with Cap1 yesterday and they waived the AF but again told me no PC was available.

Message 4 of 8
marcforza1
Frequent Contributor

I called Cap1 on Tuesday about waiving my AF since it popped up this week. Unfortunately, they were not able to waive it for me. Once the option to combine cards/balances are available again, I'm moving the balance of that to the QS and closing it. 

FICO 8 Scores 12/2017: EX-596; TU-604; EQ-591
Current: EX-648; TU-665; EQ-678
AAoA: 4.4 yrs
Message 5 of 8
JaseT
Established Contributor

IIRC, both Cap One cards have to have a zero balance in order to combine them.

BK7 Filed 12/16, Discharged 3/17 *** Current Revolving CL Total $122.1k *** PIF/AZEO
6/19 FICO SCORES:
On My Radar Cards: Nothing ATM
Future Goal Cards: US Bank Cash +, Citi Double Cash, Discover It, BoA Cash Rewards, USAA Cashback Rewards Plus Amex
Message 6 of 8
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@JaseT wrote:
IIRC, both Cap One cards have to have a zero balance in order to combine them.

When the feature was still active only the donor card had to be at zero, but unfortunately right now nobody can combine, anyway. Smiley Sad

Message 7 of 8
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

@JaseT wrote:

You might try product changing that card to another Cap One offering that has no AF so you won't have to worry about it next year!

It has historically been very difficult to PC a QS1 card into anything that didn't have an annual fee.  At one point even the CSRs were recommending that you app for a new QS then combine the QS1 into it.  Around here there were a lot of threads talking about forgoing the rewards structure for a few months and starting with the platinum over the QS1 due to the fee, it is much easier to PC a Platinum into a QS.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.