Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 Savor One vs PNC Cash Rewards - Restaurant and Grocery over 6K

tag
bergrides
Regular Contributor

Cap1 Savor One vs PNC Cash Rewards - Restaurant and Grocery over 6K

Hi all,

I would like to add another card for restaurant and grocery over 6K (BCP rewards for first 6K).  I spend a bit over $400 a month on take out/delivery. I have the following cards already:
- Amex BCP - opened 11/06/2018 hard pull  - Grocery 6% up to 6K, Gas and transit 3%
- Amex CM - opened 11/23/2019 soft pull - 1.5% everything
- LL Bean Visa - opened 7/2008 - Bean bucks

Right now I am using the Amex CM for restaurant, but Savor One and PNC Cash Rewards cards earn double that, which would net me just under $75 more in rewards per year.  Right now I see the following plus and minus with each card - can anyone add plusses or minus of these cards or have an opinion one way or the other mostly for restaurant and grocery spending over BCP 6K cap?:

PNC Cash Rewards:
Advantages:
- Have accounts with PNC
- Good luck with Customer Service
- Company has more favorable reviews than Cap1
- Easy to get Customer Service on phone the few times needed
- 1 HP, probably Experian

Disadvantages:
- 8K cap
- Not sure if grocery and restaurant cash back will work in as many places as Savor One

Cap1 Savor One:
Advantages:
- No cap
- Based on conversation with agent, sounds like many places included in Grocery Store and Restaurant categories, like meat market and bakeries
- $5 to $10 more in rewards per year based on my calculations

Disadvantages:
- Hold times if need to call are ridiculous
- Unfavorable reviews recently
- Concerned on what CL will be 
- HPs on all 3 CRAs

Thanks for any insight

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap1 Savor One vs PNC Cash Rewards - Restaurant and Grocery over 6K

You pretty much hit the +/- of each card. PNC Cash Rewards also gives 4% on gas. Based on your estimates, you would spend about $5K/year on dining, and that would leave you with $3K/year for gas ($250/mo). 

I have both cards. Assuming that you will not carry a balance on either card, the APR won't matter. PNC might offer a better SL than Capital One,  but that might not matter if you expect to get a comfortable SL anyway.

8K should suffice for your needs, assuming 3K for gas a year is a good supplement to your current gas card.

I prefer the PNC Cash Rewards card over Capital One. 

EDIT: fixed typos.

Message 2 of 17
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

I have the PNC Cash Rewards and while I know it's not a big deal, I do hate that it has redemption thresholds. I like being able to redeem whenever I want and for however much I want.
Message 3 of 17
bergrides
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have both cards. Assuming that you will not carry a balance on either card, the APR won't matter. PNC might offer a better SL than Capital One,  but that might not matter if you expect to get a comfortable SL anyway.

8K should suffice for your needs, assuming 3K for gas a year is a good supplement to your current gas card.

Thanks for the response. 

I don't carry a balance, so APR is not a concern.  Depending on if my son is at home for a while, I end up spending 1 - 2K past the 6K on groceries, and that doesn't include the meat market, since we have 3 adults at home even without my son, which that would chew  up some of the 3K you mentioned.

Out of curiosity, why do you like the PNC Cash Rewards over the Savor One?

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bergrides wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the response. 

I don't carry a balance, so APR is not a concern.  Depending on if my son is at home for a while, I end up spending 1 - 2K past the 6K on groceries, and that doesn't include the meat market, since we have 3 adults at home even without my son, which that would chew  up some of the 3K you mentioned.

Out of curiosity, why do you like the PNC Cash Rewards over the Savor One?

Capital One for me, as well as several others in the forum, is getting the thumbs down lately by their practices. They cut CLs down significantly, for me 63%. Of course I didn't really need my entire CL, but it makes the card look smaller lol.

They make it more difficult to PC their products now, no more custom cards, CLs are almost impossible to get, customer service isn't as great.

PNC has offers that I use, Capital One does not. Capital One does allow immediate redemption of rewards and my standard rate is 6.9%, but those aren't too important to me. I use PNC mostly for gas and some for dining. So I prefer PNC over Capital One by a little bit, not a lot. Capital One has been good to me over the time I've had the card.

Message 5 of 17
bergrides
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous - Thanks for the input.  I am leaning towards PNC.

Message 6 of 17
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

PNC imho as the 25 redemption threshold is a no brainer..  I actually use mine quite a bit out of my 30ish cards it is one that actually is in the wallet alot of the time.

Message 7 of 17
bergrides
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the feedback @CreditCuriosity 

Message 8 of 17
bergrides
Regular Contributor

@Loquat - The minimum redemption on rewards doesn't bother me.  I would wait until it is at least $25 to redeem anyway.  Thanks for the feedback.

Message 9 of 17
JNA1
Valued Contributor

I have the PNC cash rewards card, and I really like it. On top of the 4% cash and 3% restaurants, it has some pretty good targeted 10% offers at different  Restaurants, stores, Gas Stations, Big Lots, etc.  They are usually 10% offers up to $2, $3, $5 or $6 but they are very useful if they you actually go those places.

I got one at for Circle K gas station last month for 10% cash back up to $3 on top of the 4% I was already getting, so it's a nice return  

5C24589A-EE2A-4AB5-8884-B0B19AE3D856.jpeg

055F30BD-338C-4E1D-A70B-91821BA8E9FD.png

3D25C01D-1281-4764-8150-5648FA3C2140.png

Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.