Did you mean: 

Cap1 Savor for gamers/steam

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Cap1 Savor for gamers/steam

@Anonymous wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

That's information off the website anyway =/.  As a general rule don't call CSR's for frivolous things, lenders do keep track.

Yes I agree. It's on the website. I'm just not hip to games and  how they can be related to entertainment establishments. For instance, a video game produced by the movie industry. They can be tied together.

And I agree that CS probably tracks call relevancy, frequency, etc. Not everyone agrees and they might bite your head off making such statements lol. 

Unlikely, we've even had some anecdotal stories over the years regarding AA and the core theme was frequent call-ins... ultimately business wise if a customer is causing you to lose money, encourage them to go be someone else's problem.

More concretely though, I've worked for several financial institutions in their IT groups.  Data is the name of the game these days in the modern economy: it's not only tracked, it's generally recorded... and has been for a decade or longer.

Most people don't call for information especially these days: even my 80 year old dad uses Google; if you do... it will be anomalous.  You don't want to be an anomaly when it comes to bank analytics Smiley Happy.

        
Message 21 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

That's information off the website anyway =/.  As a general rule don't call CSR's for frivolous things, lenders do keep track.

Yes I agree. It's on the website. I'm just not hip to games and  how they can be related to entertainment establishments. For instance, a video game produced by the movie industry. They can be tied together.

And I agree that CS probably tracks call relevancy, frequency, etc. Not everyone agrees and they might bite your head off making such statements lol. 

Unlikely, we've even had some anecdotal stories over the years regarding AA and the core theme was frequent call-ins... ultimately business wise if a customer is causing you to lose money, encourage them to go be someone else's problem.

More concretely though, I've worked for several financial institutions in their IT groups.  Data is the name of the game these days in the modern economy: it's not only tracked, it's generally recorded... and has been for a decade or longer.

Most people don't call for information especially these days: even my 80 year old dad uses Google; if you do... it will be anomalous.  You don't want to be an anomaly when it comes to bank analytics Smiley Happy.

Yeah, well I mentioned that hitting the luv button daily is something that is recorded and maybe even noticed. That was turned into me inferring that if you hit the luv button, you're asking for AA lol.

And I agree with frequency and relevancy. Call them monthly to wish them happy new month won't go over well. I have several questions I'd like to know from a CSR but I won't call because it's not relevant to the use of my card.

Message 22 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

So a preliminary charge of Steam is the category 'internet'. I will report back once it posts, but most likely not 4%.

A bakery my friends and I frequent is categorized as grocery, but Cap1 gives me 4% (it is a dine in bakery restaurant) so there is a chance.

Message 23 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So a preliminary charge of Steam is the category 'internet'. I will report back once it posts, but most likely not 4%.

A bakery my friends and I frequent is categorized as grocery, but Cap1 gives me 4% (it is a dine in bakery restaurant) so there is a chance.

Capital One codes bakeries as restaurants. There's no surprise there. Capital One is somewhat broad with entertainment but they are quite clear that digital entertainment won't be covered. 

Message 24 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It's a hail Mary,  but you never know. I have an internet purchase coded as "other" that gives me 4% for golf. Golf doesn't even reward at 4% at the register. 

Message 25 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Some categories are difficult to determine whether they qualify for the entertainment category. Golf is categorized as entertainment, but does not qualify for 4% cash back.

I would say the best way to find out is a test purchase. But you don't want to go that route. A lot of times I use test purchases to check, and just accept if its 1%, but I know next time.

A lot of the streaming services and gaming do not qualify. The best way to find out without testing might be to call them.

OP, you may have a hard time getting in touch with someone who actually knows, spending more of your time on the phone than the extra cash back would be worth on a small purchase. It's also possible the coding could change for one of the merchants at some point.

90%+ chance it won't be coded for 4%. Best way to find out is to test. OP isn't willing to do so however. 

A CSR would probably know. CO states that movies, zoos, sporting events, amusement parks are in. Streaming services such as Netflix are not. Gaming, most likely not. Golf shows up in the entertainment category on my Cap 1 card. But its 1%. If I book using a third party online service or their website,  it's 4%, coded as "Other". Go figure. There's even a few courses that I'll get 4% at the register in the off season because I think they close down one of their terminals and use the dining terminal, even though I pay at the same register in the pro shop as I do in season.

I don't think you've dealt with enough CSR's Smiley Happy.

A CSR has a snowball's chance in hell for knowing what the coding of a given transaction would be, especially since merchant codes are not standardized to any large degree; probably even less than understanding what the underwriting guidelines for a given card are and they're deliberately kept in the dark on that one in most FI's that I've seen.

You'd have to have one who's basically tried it themselves, which is basically what's being suggested here.

This made me think that on Doctor of Credit one of their comments is: "do not call the bank" so it is beyond this Forum for the "do not call" warning/advice! Smiley Surprised

Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.