Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1..Unbelievable!

tag
JenniferinFL
Frequent Contributor

Re: Cap1..Unbelievable!

That's just Capital One's business model. Think about it, they limit to two accounts and don't product change. The only way you even can move on to better products with them is to close your current accounts and apply for a new one.

I still prefer them to Citi the backstabbing balance chaser.. lol  At least the annual fee is right there in black and white, not a surprise that you have to scramble to correct for.

I'm sure Capital One reps close accounts day in and day out, they don't have to worry about customer retention because they're pretty much the only decent subprime lender. When I called Citi to ask them about my husbands card getting balance chased, they didn't care enough to even do another soft pull and instead based his credit limit decrease off of old information from months before. My threats to close the card as soon as it hit $0 were completely ignored, still didn't care enough to do another soft pull. Poor customer retention is not limited to Cap One.

Current Cards: Cap 1 Journey $3000, Cap 1 Playstation $2250, WFNNB Store Cards $2450 combined, Target $700, CareCredit $1700, Barclay Rewards Plat. Mastercard $1800, Old Navy $300, DCU Platinum Rewards Visa $2000, Swagbucks Rewards Visa $1000

Starting Score: 615 EQ (03-15-2012) 600 TU (03-21-2012 Barclays app) ) Ch.7 discharged 5/2009

Current Score: 671 EQ (09-27-2014 DCU) 660 TU (9/26/14 Barclays) Ex 688 (10/07/2014 Swagbucks)

Gardening since 9/22/2014

Message 11 of 38
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

I spoke w/the retention dept. a few times -- didn't help. They were the ones who were more than happy to accomodate me by closing the acct., but unwilling (or "unable") to waive the AF or CLI. I had posted at the time that the term, "retention dept." was a misnomer and it should be called the "we couldn't care less and will be glad to close your acct" dept. (Or something like that!) Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 12 of 38
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@JenniferinFL wrote:

That's just Capital One's business model. Think about it, they limit to two accounts and don't product change. The only way you even can move on to better products with them is to close your current accounts and apply for a new one.

I still prefer them to Citi the backstabbing balance chaser.. lol  At least the annual fee is right there in black and white, not a surprise that you have to scramble to correct for.

I'm sure Capital One reps close accounts day in and day out, they don't have to worry about customer retention because they're pretty much the only decent subprime lender. When I called Citi to ask them about my husbands card getting balance chased, they didn't care enough to even do another soft pull and instead based his credit limit decrease off of old information from months before. My threats to close the card as soon as it hit $0 were completely ignored, still didn't care enough to do another soft pull. Poor customer retention is not limited to Cap One.

That's probably true. But still, as a customer, I'd like to feel somewhat valued. Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 13 of 38
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

@JenniferinFL wrote:

I guess Cap1 treats all us Floridians the same lol

Funny you say that about Citi, when they're one of the best companies I've delt with (knock on wood). After having a dreadful experience with the CSR drones, I found an executive number and the guy straightened out everything and even called me several times to update me on their processing my new account, and a few times after I recieved the card to ensure I was completely satisfied. 

But I don't doubt you had that hellish experience...I was on the verge of closing my existing Citi account (the problem was with a new account) because I was so infuriated, but the guy I spoke with in their executive offices saved me and even said they would look into the CSR's I spoke with (he may have said that to make me feel better, but either way, it worked lol). 

Photobucket
Message 14 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think that Citi offshores their CS, or a significant portion of it.  I know the logic behind offshoring, hell I am working on my MBA.  The problem is understanding the CSR.  Even if you put all your CS centers in the USA, it can still be difficult to understand someone from an opposite end of the country.  By placing a center in a different country this problem is multiplied.

Message 15 of 38
JenniferinFL
Frequent Contributor

@FloridaState12 wrote:

I guess Cap1 treats all us Floridians the same lol

Funny you say that about Citi, when they're one of the best companies I've delt with (knock on wood). After having a dreadful experience with the CSR drones, I found an executive number and the guy straightened out everything and even called me several times to update me on their processing my new account, and a few times after I recieved the card to ensure I was completely satisfied. 

But I don't doubt you had that hellish experience...I was on the verge of closing my existing Citi account (the problem was with a new account) because I was so infuriated, but the guy I spoke with in their executive offices saved me and even said they would look into the CSR's I spoke with (he may have said that to make me feel better, but either way, it worked lol). 

I mostly contact customer service online, so when it became obvious in online messaging that they couldn't fix the problem, they gave me the number for underwriting. Fortunately I never actually had to talk to a CSR drone over the phone. The number they gave me gets picked up by a regular person with none of that "press #1 for English" business.

Everyone I talked to there was polite enough, but, no one would repull my husbands credit. Of course, he had a couple days a few months ago where everything posted a balance for a couple days before cards started reporting paid off. Of course, that's when they softpulled his credit. The timing was just horrible as we're in underwriting for a house and if I wouldn't have caught it online he would've been hit with something like 93% utilization when the balance reports on the 5th. I'm still working on transfering all of his balance away from Citi because they said his balance would keep getting decreased as it was paid down. The timing was just so bad that it felt malicious, especially since his credit is much better now than it was when he got the card.

What I like about Capital One is that no one has heard of them balance chasing. Sure, they don't do anything nice for you either, but, at least they don't balance chase. I guess I'm lucky too because none of my Cap Ones has annual fees anyways. As soon as my credit is good enough, I'll be trying for a Venture with them. I guess with all the mediocrity in customer service across the board right now, I'm just happy when they aren't downright malicious.. lol

Current Cards: Cap 1 Journey $3000, Cap 1 Playstation $2250, WFNNB Store Cards $2450 combined, Target $700, CareCredit $1700, Barclay Rewards Plat. Mastercard $1800, Old Navy $300, DCU Platinum Rewards Visa $2000, Swagbucks Rewards Visa $1000

Starting Score: 615 EQ (03-15-2012) 600 TU (03-21-2012 Barclays app) ) Ch.7 discharged 5/2009

Current Score: 671 EQ (09-27-2014 DCU) 660 TU (9/26/14 Barclays) Ex 688 (10/07/2014 Swagbucks)

Gardening since 9/22/2014

Message 16 of 38
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Wow....

Sorry to hear FS Smiley Sad

Mod Cut

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 17 of 38
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Plan on closing my HSBC as well as Cap1 just as soon as they next AF is set to hit.

Those cards simply look out of place in my wallet next to this silver Amex. Smiley Very Happy

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 18 of 38
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

They were more than happy to close my account too.  This was a "starter" card for me with a CLI of $500, as well as two others I got at that time.  I was supposed to have regular CLIs but never got them (even got a letter shortly after the account opened to tell me I was off to a good start on getting a CLI).  They tried to tell me today that I would be eligible for those, but I told them that if I hadn't gotten one in 4 years with a great payment history, then I doubted I would get them in the future.  I have friend who also opened a starter account with them at the same time as me and has gotten small increases periodically.  I also have a Business Cap1 that has a CLI from $1000 to $1500, so if I get regular CLIs from them, I'll hold onto that one.  I closed my Orchard when they offered to give me a $20 CLI to bring me up to a whopping $320.  I have recently gotten two cards from Barclays - their Apple financing card at $2400 and their US Airways card at $3500 so I really have outgrown the Cap1 and Orchard.

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 19 of 38
learnin113
Established Contributor

@FloridaState12 wrote:

So I called Cap1 a few months ago about getting my $19 AF waived. The rep (via the backdoor number) said that was no problem and to just call back once the fee gets charged and they'll waive it, no problem.

Well, the fee was charged a few days ago so I called today to have it waived. The lady told me "oh, I'm sorry, but we're currently not offering to waive the fee" or something of the like. So I said "okay, well can you transfer me to someone who can close this account?" originally as a bluff, but she said she could do it. And without hesitation she closed the account! I was shocked that she didn't even try to keep me as a customer, all over $19.

After this I was peeved, and told her to close out my other account as well. Again, no hesitation. I figured if they don't value me as a customer then I'm not going to give them any business. I told myself I'd always be a Cap1 customer after they gave me my first card, but no more. To hell with them. I will never again do business with Capital One.

Amazing that they would rather lose two accounts and a customer than waive a $19 fee. 

Oh and here's the kicker: she informed me that the $19 fee, since it's within 30 days, will be credited back to my account once the account closes!

Never again.

/rant off

With all the amazing cards you have...u certainly don't need Crap 1!

Message 20 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.