cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 alerted me on my "tipping", lol!!

tag
ddemari
Super Contributor

Re: Cap1 alerted me on my "tipping", lol!!

They send me those all the time, I like them because they are just FYI and don't require any action on my part. Unless its a wrong type of charge. 

Message 31 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess I've just become a bad person. I thought I was following the status quo with my 20% tips, but I've seen studies that mirror what I'm seeing here in that the average tip is now 25%. I'm not sure I'm willing to play the tip inflation game, especially with more and more industries requesting tips. I would also prefer to go to the tipless system, especially as the rules get more and more complex. I guess I also diverge from the norm in that I don't tip more for cheap items.

For example, I think that the rule used to be that a service brought about a tip. So, if you eat a a restaurant and you get waited on, you tip. If you order at the counter and pick it up there, you don't, and I guess there is something in the middle if you order at the counter and then they bring it to your table. However, i can't explain coffee tipping. I'm not sure how ordering a coffee is different from ordering at McDonalds, except that at one, a tip is expected, and at the other, it isn't. Same sort of deal for using food trucks. 

Message 32 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I guess I've just become a bad person. I thought I was following the status quo with my 20% tips, but I've seen studies that mirror what I'm seeing here in that the average tip is now 25%. I'm not sure I'm willing to play the tip inflation game, especially with more and more industries requesting tips. I would also prefer to go to the tipless system, especially as the rules get more and more complex. I guess I also diverge from the norm in that I don't tip more for cheap items.

For example, I think that the rule used to be that a service brought about a tip. So, if you eat a a restaurant and you get waited on, you tip. If you order at the counter and pick it up there, you don't, and I guess there is something in the middle if you order at the counter and then they bring it to your table. However, i can't explain coffee tipping. I'm not sure how ordering a coffee is different from ordering at McDonalds, except that at one, a tip is expected, and at the other, it isn't. Same sort of deal for using food trucks. 

If I place a $25 takeout order over the phone, I usually tip around $2 when I pick it up at the counter. I tip, but it's mostly below 10% in those cases.

*I don't tip baristas, although my coffee shop orders are extremely simple and infrequent. I usually brew at home.

And I don't really go for food trucks.*

Message 33 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Petrovius, you're not a bad person, not to worry. The whole tipping thing is getting out of hand and the kinds of things that tips are expected for seem to be rapidly expanding.

I'm just not sure how we ever ended up with a system where a customer, instead of an employer, is supposed to pay a worker's salary. Really.

Must have been a great idea thought up by companies to relieve themselves of fairly paying their employees.

Message 34 of 50
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Petrovius, you're not a bad person, not to worry. The whole tipping thing is getting out of hand and the kinds of things that tips are expected for seem to be rapidly expanding.

I'm just not sure how we ever ended up with a system where a customer, instead of an employer, is supposed to pay a worker's salary. Really.

Must have been a great idea thought up by companies to relieve themselves of fairly paying their employees.

oh I so agree, tipping is out control. I went to the mall the other day, and stopped ny Nestle cookies to get my sweet tooth fix, and there was a homemade jar sitting by the register that someone made up that said..."tips appreciated"...  SAY WHAT???????  WTH !!  WHY do I need to to tip you for handing me a freaking cookie in the mall!!!  I was so appaulled by that, I was like..cancel my order, I was literally offended, LOL. Next thing we know, Ill go shopping at GAP, and there will be a jar at the register, and Ill have to tip the sales clerk for getting me down a sweater up on the top shelf I couldnt reach!! grrrrrrrrrrrrr 

Message 35 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizza1 wrote:

oh I so agree, tipping is out control. I went to the mall the other day, and stopped ny Nestle cookies to get my sweet tooth fix, and there was a homemade jar sitting by the register that someone made up that said..."tips appreciated"...  SAY WHAT???????  WTH !!  WHY do I need to to tip you for handing me a freaking cookie in the mall!!!  I was so appaulled by that, I was like..cancel my order, I was literally offended, LOL. Next thing we know, Ill go shopping at GAP, and there will be a jar at the register, and Ill have to tip the sales clerk for getting me down a sweater up on the top shelf I couldnt reach!! grrrrrrrrrrrrr 

This.  I do enjoy tipping folks well (because they do their jobs very well) but no way in hell I'm tipping someone to hand me a cookie.  They are certainly making min wage but it's far better than the waitress wage + tips.

Message 36 of 50
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

I tip 15% of total amount BEFORE taxes. That's it. Unless the waitress is cute, in which case I tip 15% of total amount INCLUDING taxes. And only at sit down restaurants or pizza deliveries. Take out, hell no.

Message 37 of 50
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

Bottom line, I'll tip, just not to the point where I'm taking money away from my daughter amd giving it to random strangers. I'm not gonna put their kids thru college over mine.

Message 38 of 50
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@thelethargicage wrote:
Bottom line, I'll tip, just not to the point where I'm taking money away from my daughter amd giving it to random strangers. I'm not gonna put their kids thru college over mine.

LOL!!!  Couldnt agree more with your mindset, but I will pay extra with exeptional service, which is rare now adays. I really like the fact that Cap1 noticed this to be a little odd, and made me aware of this.  I could have for all I know, been a victim to someone changing the tip amount.  I think this is a great feature! 

Message 39 of 50
Open123
Super Contributor

@thelethargicage wrote:
I tip 15% of total amount BEFORE taxes. That's it. Unless the waitress is cute, in which case I tip 15% of total amount INCLUDING taxes. And only at sit down restaurants or pizza deliveries. Take out, hell no.

Basically, I tip just has my Father had.

1.  Generally, 15% - 18% before taxes - I never tip on taxes, ever.  In SF, I deduct the health care tax from the 15%.  Unless for 6 or more, I never dine at any restaurant implementing mandatory gratuity.

2.  For extraordinary service or special occasion, 25% before tax.  If the restaurant owner is a close personal friend (this happens very rarely), 50% of total bill.

3.  Wine - 10% tip, but only 5% for very expensive bottles - cash to the Sommelier.

4.  Never tip for takeouts or coffee jar type things.

That's pretty much it.  I'll never go along with the tip 25% after tax, and will always tip before tax and deduct the health care taxes some cities are charging.

Message 40 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.