Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 hates me and now it's mutual

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap1 hates me and now it's mutual

I have 3 CC accounts with Cap 1 all opened in between Feb. 2002 and Oct. 2002. The first account was opened with Cap1 and had a limit of $600. The other 2 were opened with Household and were acquired by Cap1 years ago have limits of $1500 and $1400.

Over time these cards have went through periods of use and at other times sat idle. Sometimes carried a balance and other times paid off. Through it all never missed a single payment. I even tried putting $1500 a month though the $600 card and making weekly payments. No CLI increases. So the card just sat unused as an AoA anchor.

They never gave me a CLI either auto or Love button, always one excuse or another. At least until this week. I hit the love button on all 3 and these are the results.

$600-$1600

$1500-$1600

$1400-$1550

14 years of perfect history and this is what they give.

In contrast I apply with NFCU this week and I START at $17600 and a $15000 CLOC.

Guess where my loyalty will lie.

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap1 hates me and now it's mutual

If I were you, I would call the EO. Worth a shot at least..

Message 2 of 22
creditguy
Valued Contributor

I don't think they hate you but they probably don't love those old household cards. They seem to give those cards very little love and your not the only one to experience that. And it's really not fair to contrast Cap One and Navy, they are in two different atmospheres. While Cap One can be generous they are nowhere near Navy generous at least in a general sense. A call to the EO would likely be fruitless as there are recent threads that say the EO does not address CLI's any longer. Just SD them or close them if they are no longer needed.
Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

It seems like they want to make the Household accounts go away. Like they hope you close them or something. I know I felt that way when I was dealing with them and my old Orchard card. I complained several times this year and they finally upgraded me to a no fee card last month. I will say, however, that my profile has also improved tremendously in the last year.
Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If I were you, I would call the EO. Worth a shot at least..

I agree. 

Message 5 of 22
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I agree with others on the old card issue, but my advice (take it how ever you wish) is to apply for the Venture or QS and I bet you get a SL of $10-$15k. Seriously...Its the old cards they don't like, but I would almost bet they would hand you a minimum $10k card...Ive seen happen here so many times.......Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 22
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

@pizza1 wrote:

I agree with others on the old card issue, but my advice (take it how ever you wish) is to apply for the Venture or QS and I bet you get a SL of $10-$15k. Seriously...Its the old cards they don't like, but I would almost bet they would hand you a minimum $10k card...Ive seen happen here so many times.......Smiley Wink

I agree with Pizza. I'm one of those stories!

Personal:

Business:

Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like you've outgrown Capital One. 

While Capital One has a few good cards (Quicksilver, Venure, and Spark 2% cash back for Business), most of Capital One's base is for those who are rebuilding credit. For those with a good to great credit score, I don't see why people in those categories [good/great] would want to do business with Capital One when there's better companies to do business with instead. 

For example, I'm sure American Express or Chase would love to have you as a member for one of their top teir cards with a 10-20k limit... Sapphire Perferred gets you a direct person and superior customer service when you call the number on the back of the card, and of course most people know how good AMEX's customer service is. Why would you want to use a Capital One card if you qualify for a product that is much better?? I would just sock drawer your Capital One card(s).

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizza1 wrote:

This ia actually my plan. It actually turned into a game it was so comical. I held on to them for AoA. At the end of the year I will try for CSP before I hit 5/24 and the PenFed and early next year get a Venture and then combine the credit lines. I'm sure with my higher lines reporting they will be more generous.

And I understand that Cap1 and NFCU are different but to keep a card at $600 for so long is just insane.

It just goes to show that all issuers have holes in their profiles that we can fall into and it's like trying to get out of quicksand.

Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Sounds like you've outgrown Capital One. 

While Capital One has a few good cards (Quicksilver, Venure, and Spark 2% cash back for Business), most of Capital One's base is for those who are rebuilding credit. For those with a good to great credit score, I don't see why people in those categories [good/great] would want to do business with Capital One when there's better companies to do business with instead. 

For example, I'm sure American Express or Chase would love to have you as a member for one of their top teir cards with a 10-20k limit... Sapphire Perferred gets you a direct person and superior customer service when you call the number on the back of the card, and of course most people know how good AMEX's customer service is. Why would you want to use a Capital One card if you qualify for a product that is much better?? I would just sock drawer your Capital One card(s).

I actually have the Freedon and Freedom Unlimited and will try for the CSP at the end of the year.

I guess it's my stubborn side. I figure I'm just going to outlast them LOLSmiley Very Happy

Maybe the Venture next year.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.