Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 only gave me $100 CI, Feel salty

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap1 only gave me $100 CI, Feel salty

I have two Quicksilver cards a year old. Both SL $300. In Dec I got an auto CI of $200 on both. My scores are way higher and utilization is currently 8%. One of the cards they denied me stating that I haven't use the card enough. On my other card they only gave me $100 CI. I thought I would have a higher increase. I called to see if I could get it higher but the agent kept telling me there's nothing she could do. 

I guess I'll just try again in a couple Months. Good thing they are soft pulls.

#capitolone #creditincrease

26 REPLIES 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap1 only gave me $100 CI, Feel salty

You're looking in the wrong place if you're seeking a decent CLI from Capital One - especially on a low limit card. It's just not going to happen in the near future, if ever. 

Message 2 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Everybody else gave me decent increases. I thought they would follow suit. 

Message 3 of 27
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous 

When cards start at 300 SLs they are pretty much bucketed and won't get very high .

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 4 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Everybody else gave me decent increases. I thought they would follow suit. 

Then seek your increases there.  Your Cap1 cards are likely bucketed and will never grow by much.

Message 5 of 27
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Like everyone else has said, those sound like classic bucketed cards. They will most likely not grow for you. There are rare instances of low-starting cards growing to usable limits, but those instances are very few and far between. The starter cards are meant to help you get better cards down the road. 

Good luck! 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 6 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Everybody else gave me decent increases. I thought they would follow suit." < I think this unrealistic expectation is contributing to the saltiness more than anything. Thankfully you've had a few people here who provided helpful info so now you know. 

Cap1 started me at $750, then auto CLI of $250. I had to nearly promise them the moon to eek out another $200. I don't expect it to grow any further but they took a chance on me with low scores so its currently serving a purpose. GL with future increases elsewhere!

Message 7 of 27
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Message 8 of 27
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

OP, here is my two cents. If it won't increase your utilization much or bring you down to under 3 cards, I would close the one that was denied the increase. And then 6 months later, close the other.

Say goodbye to Capital One now while you still hold the belief that you should be treated with respect by a lender (I'm being purposefully dramatic here for emphasis-sake). Avoid them, as well as, Synchrony, Care One, Credit One, and any "One" cards. They're great for building but the company's goals seldom align with the consumer's best interests. Both Cap1 and Synch have a couple decent offerings here and there but as you noted yourself OP, other lenders respect that you've grown your scores and are using credit responsibly. Flock to those.

If a thin/new profile began with Amex or Discover, those cards would grow real limits. That is a sign of how a good lender will treat you. They deserve the business. 

Again, just my two cents, take it with a grain of salt. If I wasn't so concerned with getting my AAOA up on my make-believe Vantage3 scores, I'd have closed out my Cap1 sooner and closed out my Synch gas card by now. Keep in mind, on real reports cards stay on your report for 10 years after closure, hence my earlier recommendation of closing them. 

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 9 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't even know it was possible to get a SL of $100 from Cap One, or anyone really.  I always thought $300 was more or less the bottom end as far as SLs went.

I agree with the others, starter account limits from Cap One are nearly impossible to break free from.  The automated system will essentially never allow it and from what I understand initiating a manual review went away some time ago. 

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.