tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap1 only gave me $100 CI, Feel salty

Message 21 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @Ficoproblems247 this was very informative. 

Message 22 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, everyone. I learned a lot on this thread. 

Message 23 of 27
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Sorry OP. Seems to be the norm with the starter cards, especially right now with the economic downturn.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 24 of 27
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Dont feel bad. If someone gets $100 increase on a Wally card thats like hitting the lottery so  to get anything from stingy Cap One is a winSmiley Wink

Message 25 of 27
SirMilo
Regular Contributor

OP,  congrats on the CLI even though it wasn't what you were hoping for.

As everyone else has said, CapOne can be pretty tight. I have a CapOne Platinum Visa (unsecured) that i've had since 2006 and it went from $1K to $1250 over a 14 year period. I finally gave up on asking for CLIs years ago. I was able to PC to a QS for some rewards a couple of years ago and it still has an interest rate in the single digits. Since it's my oldest active credit line, I use it for recurring monthly charges for my online subscriptions and as a PayPal/Amazon primary funding option. This is always my go-to card for use online since the damage will be minimal in the event it gets compromised, especially if the account is frozen due to fraud.

Focus on other cards and just assume that CapOne isn't likely to show you much love in the future.

Message 26 of 27
BurgeoningHope
Frequent Contributor

My Cap1 starter was a Platinum. Not secured, but very much a starter. Pretty sure it's bucketed too.

I now have much better cards for things such as gas and groceries (need to update my card list below). BUT it's still a useful card to me in terms of helping some family members get established or re-established. If they charge it to the hilt and something bad happens, it's a financial hit that I can absorb. I'm definitely _not_ putting people on my higher-CL cards!

Both of my grown kids are now established, with my son having gone from zero to closing on a house a couple of months ago by starting as an AU on that bucketed Cap1 card of mine a couple of years ago. Hubby's kids and a niece are coming along soon.

If you have a similar dynamic in your family, might be worth holding on to a low-limit card for a while.

Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.