Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 pc = card growth?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap1 pc = card growth?

Im currious, if i can get Cap1 to PC my QS1 to QS, will it grow then, or will it still be considered a starter account?

My QS1 is a year old, $500 CL, ($300 intialy). I never use it, i put all my spend on the Venture and Disc.

Or if there are better suggestions, i'm all ears. Thanks!
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap1 pc = card growth?

It grew in my case but I couldn’t get them to PC my QS1 so I got impatient and backdoor’d in with a Plat -> QS then combined them. It’s anecdotal of course but a LOT of people have trouble getting them to drop the annual fee on the QS1 to get it to a QS (they have less of an issue adding rewards to a Plat).

My QS1 was $500-$600-$1100-$1200
Plat->QS was $500-$600-$1100 then I combined the two to $2300 and recently got a CLI of $3k so total $5300.
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info. That was a good strategy. I will keep that in mind
Message 3 of 11
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

It's hard to PC QS1s. I was able to PC two of them after 12 or 13 consecutive months of usage and payments. We don't have enough data points to know that there was a connection between usage and the PC offers or if it was just a coincidence. But definitely call in each and every month while you still have the card to see if an offer has appeared.

I wouldn't grab the Platinum because with a Venture and a Discover, your profile is beyond that. I like the idea of grabbing a new card and combining the QS1 into the Venture, though. You could grab a Quicksilver or a Savor. But I think my preference would be to add a card from a new bank.

Note that Capital One requires a six month wait between new cards, so that might come into play. If you're looking at a card from another bank, you'll want your timing to be right. The bottom line, however, is that it's beneficial to have three open cards, meaning that I'd have the new card in hand before losing the QS1. If it means eating one more annual fee to do this right, it's a small price to pay.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

After all my research with a starter card from Cap 1, I have found all the research here to be hit or miss. Can't make any rhyme or reason on your first card why some seem to grow and others don't.

After reading all the results I've given up in mine... it's now only 5 months. I hope it does but if it doesn't no love lost for me. Like most the card has served it purpose and now like yourself I've moved on to better things.

For a PC try this link it may work for you https://verified.capitalone.com/sic-ui/#/esignin?Product=Card&Action=ProductUpgrade

I had to try 3 times before it worked for me so I could PC my Platinum up to Quicksilver.

You can read many varying results here on this thread https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Capital-One-check-for-upgrade-link/td-p/4934733

Message 5 of 11
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

The link in the post above has been very useful. But it doesn't include offers for the Savor card. Capital One has been handing out Savor PCs like candy. If you're interested in the Savor and want to know if you have an offer, you'll need to call in or chat.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, i appreciate your imput. i will definitly do that (call in each month). I like your ideal best (grabbing a qucksilver or savior and combining the QS1 into Venture).

I will have to hold out on that for a while yet. Like you had mentioned about adding a card from a new bank, I'm saving my last 2/24 for chase. Im hoping to get my hands on the CSP.

I dont mind paying the $40 annual a couple more times, its the $500cl that erks me, lol.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the Link, i will have to try it again when i'm back in the States. CAP1 wants security verification via text that it's me, but my sim doesnt work where i am at.
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is good to know, i will call in then
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One PCs do not allow one to go from a "starter account" to a better (non-starter) account.  It's similar to giving an older beat up car a new paint job.  Yes it looks better and there are some benefits of the new paint job, but it's still the same old car under that fresh coat of paint.

I am all for PCs and think they're a great idea if the new product suits you better.  Just be aware that a starter account is a starter account, regardless of what new paint job it gets.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.