Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 replacement card came w/contactless chip

tag
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Re: Cap1 replacement card came w/contactless chip

All three of my Quicksilvers are contactless. Capital One says that the encryption is similar to the chip. But if you use the cards, you'll see that contactless faster than the chip.

Message 11 of 27
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm really surprised. Contactless has been on the way out. In fact there's no where in my metropolitan area that I know has the reader.

I'm not surprised you didn't get metal though. The website says metal cards are only for new customers. Kinda arrogant and a bit of a snub to their existing customers if you ask me.

Untrue. Contactless is growing, especially with Visa cards like the OP's. 

Citi's Costco Visa, Sprint's new credit card, Paypal's debit card, AMEX cards, Capital One's cards, and others have contactless technology in them, where none other than AMEX had contactless a few years ago. Contactless acceptance at merchants has also risen. 

And yet none of my Amex cards (all from 2017) have contactless.  Why did they stop doing it?

My only contactless card is the Cap1 QS.  And I still don't know how to use it that way.

Message 12 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

That made me look.....none of mine are contactless either. 

Message 13 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought I read that contactless cards were easier to clone because they can be read by RFID thingys (My technological knowledge beyond that is substandard). 

Message 14 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

My AMEX doesn't have a contactless icon on it....and y'all know how new I am to AMEX! So, wassup?
Message 15 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure why contactless cards is such a weak subject for Myfico's community. 

You have to call or chat and request an AMEX contactless card. The new Hilton cards coming out are going to be contactless enabled by default based on the pictures of the re-design. 

Contactless cards are safe technology, other countries use them for the majority of their transactions. 

Message 16 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

pizza1 grat's on getting a "contact less" card from Cap1! My Chase Cards used to be contact less and Chase sent me a note saying my replacement cards would not be contact less (about three years ago). Never knew any official reason(s). As has been said, maybe the RFID Security. Interesting as my Drivers License has a RFID Device in it for crossing borders and the US Customs??? Got'ta wonder what the hey? Smiley Wink
Message 17 of 27
jacetx
Valued Contributor

@pizza1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

My metal card is not contactless. 

LOL!! really? 

My Venture card is metal too and it does not have contactless.

Message 18 of 27
jawbrkr
Established Contributor

@pizza1 wrote:

My Venture Visa Siggy was soon to expire, and I got my replacement card in the mail, with a new feature.  Contactless chip!  My previous card did not have this feature.  I was however,  disappointed that my replacement card was not metal Smiley Sad  

IMG_8184.JPG

When I got my Venture, it came as a metal card. I had to replace it not long ago and the replacement was also a metal. I wonder at which point they will stop issuing replacement metal cards? My card is about 7 months old.

|| TU08: 811 || EQ08: 811 || EX08: 802 ||

Message 19 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

My new Quicksilver Rewards Visa Signature has contactless. So far, my two Quicksilvers are the only cards in my portfolio to have this technology. I wonder why the US is lagging - I had heard contactless was popular in Europe.

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.